Archinect
anchor

Excellent musical conventions

garpike

1. Synths. They just aren't going away. So many possibilties.

2. A decent, well-rounded bass tone. Cutting the mids and and boosting the low and high end of that 24-fret 5-string has gotten old. Give me a Fender Precision bass any day.

3. Vocal harmonies. I am not talking Bohemian Rhapsody, but a good back up vocal can't be beat.

Dec 17, 05 3:18 pm
joed

It is ridiculous how specific people get in these threads, like you've all taken Music Theory 401 or something haha. I've spent most of my life playing various instruments and I'm still surprised at this... I guess most people who have the energy to get through something like architecture school had the energy to participate in a few extra-curricular musical activities pre-building-madness.

So, for my excellent musical conventions:

1. Way stripped down guitar and voice compositions. I've been listening to a lot of iron and wine lately. I used to _love_ dashboard confessional (I know, I know), and I still do love his first two albums, and I have a version of "Hands Down" that he played at this dive bar called "The Creepy Crawl" in St. Louis before he went into the studio and ruined it, first with layers and layers of over-production, then with an entire back-up band. I can't believe how he just completely abandoned the format that created such powerful songs and such a large following.

2. Technicality in any sense. There is too much "crap-it-out-and-put-it-on-the-shelves" stuff, by far. If I can respect it for the talent and effort taken to create it, odds are I will enjoy listening to it.

3. Word to the vocal harmonies.

Dec 17, 05 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
cated

high five to iron and wine

May 18, 06 12:52 am  · 
 · 
dia

Um, hard to say - probably this one.

May 18, 06 1:04 am  · 
 · 
cf

I went to one of those musical conventions in Aspen. There were too many New Age peddlers, not enough standard music.

May 18, 06 9:13 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

1. guitars + delay pedals = good times

2. bass lines with "holes" (played with aforementioned fender p)

3. feedback in most forms

4. double word to the vocal harmonies

5. the good ol' I-IV-V chord progression

garpike -- have you played the good hurt recently? i played there a few times when they first opened...just curious if they've made any changes to the place.

May 18, 06 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

We played there last November - my only time. We play there again June 10.

May 18, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

1. Three part harmony
2. i'll second the I-IV-V chord progression.
3. Minor to major chord resolution. always has and will sound satisfying.
4. compression
5. hearing ANYTHING at carnegie hall.
6. a freshly tuned steinway
7. bach partitas and sonatas for violin, or the suites for cello

May 18, 06 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
kinch

1. Riding the pocket Duck Dunn style.
2. Busting out of it with syncopation James Jamerson style.

(both of which must be down on Fender P's. Ash bodies only).

May 18, 06 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
kinch

3. And some times you need to beat the piss out of your J like Larry Graham.

May 18, 06 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

minor progressions are fun lately. getting tired of the reglar blues progressions somehow, even with all the jazzin up with pentatonic scales and shit thrown in. don know why.

so am listening to nina simone a lot lately, just to remember that all the rules and conventions jes don matter. i still can't figure out what the hell she is doing most times. blows me away.

May 18, 06 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Some excellent conventions from the 70's:

- Distorted electric piano
- Fretless electric bass
- The phrygian scale
- The Oberheim synths

May 19, 06 3:20 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

just thought of another: the soft-loud rock dynamic

creatively employed by the pixies, well-marketed by nirvana, and overdone a bit by the late '90s, but still a cool trick

May 19, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

HAND CLAPS.

May 19, 06 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
DrNo

- Tape delay and the beautiful mess of noises made by manipulating it

- the Rhodes electric piano

- honestly, any effect pedal that sounds cool when used in an inproper way

May 19, 06 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

Stephanie beat me to it. I LOVE hand claps. I prefer them used sparingly, for accent, like in Space Oddity. Those are some good claps.

May 19, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

steph did u get that cd???

May 19, 06 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you may wanna get that cd of the national woman's handclapping choir of uzbekkistan. i heard on npr its really good.

May 19, 06 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

handclaps doubled over the snare drum

(expecting someone to drop the "more cowbell" tagline, but i seriously can't stand the friggin' thing)

May 19, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

ummm...how come nobody mentioned this

May 20, 06 2:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: