Archinect
anchor

decide our own damn cover.

Cameron

thank all. aml - I think it has european distribution.

The cover was the last piece in a very large puzzle - in house we are more concerned with the content so getting feedback from alot of people on the cover was really good - we had over 2100 votes today.

nothing is final yet but we are looking at a 300+ page book and even then we could only really include around 60 projects [100+ if you include the essays].

The next version may be online but we are currently developing an online tool that maybe a bigger resource to the deisgn community.

Dec 2, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

quondam, i mean no harm in this, but it is kind of ironic that you are selling your book in hardback and softback in addition to selling an ebook pdf.

Perhaps I misunderstood your earlier statement - I was under the impression that you felt that this book should be free online. that being said I think you also misinterperated my statement "There is never a voice for this sort of work. It is always relegated and not presented as 'real architecture'" - I was not saying that 'if it's not in print it's not real' the comment meant to do with raising the level of debate on humanitarian design. Hopefully the book, our first media venture mind you, will rekindle a debate about taking these projects as seriously as the mass media and general population takes some of the stararchitects...

AFH is a conduit not only for embracing and supporting humanitarian design, but being vocal and outspoken about the amazing work of these designers and architects. A majority of which are on the ground getting their hands dirty and neither have the resouces or time to promote their work.

We are always up for suggestions... so cheers for bringing up the debate.

Dec 2, 05 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
aml

[you're welcome but i'm in south america]

you probably don't want it and it's the last thing you need at this stage, but dare i say....

archinect afh cover competition?!?!?!?

[prize: 1 book + 1 year bragging rights at archinect]

i'm afraid by posting this i may unleash a multitude of photoshop contributions... but they have to be better than those at fark, right? [architecturegeek has started already but the link isn't working]

Dec 2, 05 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

aml are you in Chile - I may come down there in the spring as we covered Elemental and I met the dean of the university who invited me to speak.

I will bring books with me.

actually given the crazy response over at Fark we are hatching the ultimate 'cover design competition' plan... and yes it's freaking out the publisher.

/my personal favorites from the Fark Photoshop competition

and

Dec 2, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

regardless of the cover (they are all nice 9.853, 9.904, 9.896 and 9.801), i will buy the book for its content, for what it stands for, for how it inspires those who read it and to support that work like whats inside its pages continues.

But if we are slicing bread, the top right grabs me just right.

Dec 2, 05 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

After resisting some initial peer pressure issues (from you guys) and my own short attention span, I like the 4th cover but feel that supergraphics are being overused these days. Ditto on whoever made the smlxl reference. I think that the 3rd one, esp. with Cameron's explanation of how it wraps around the back, is really engaging. It already makes me want to grab the book and turn it around and over and inspect it. I think all the covers would work actually and don't think that we need to go about dicing up the already completed work of the chosen graphic design firm.

However, if we get to chose from the FARK covers, definitely the one that says "MS PAINT RULES". So expressive.....

Dec 2, 05 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

i hope the book has the effect you want.

i was watching Antonio Guterres in an interview this afternoon talking about winterising huge numbers of tents in pakistan and the difficulties of even finding enough materials and suitable emergency shelters to begin with. there are something like 20 formal emergency sites and more than 500 spontaneous camps around the country and they all need help.

whatever the cover looks like the content really needs to get out there...

Dec 3, 05 7:24 am  · 
 · 

i voted for the (otherwise unpopular?) dots cover, #1.

my thinking: the photograph gives a good indication of what might be inside (a +) but the dot screen begins to suggest that more is going on than what you might expect in such a program (an enigma, generating curiosity, also a +).

i like the way the titles follow the lines of elements of the pictures on some of these. that said, the titles in #1 are sitting down too close, crowding a piece of the building on the right side of the image. i'd raise 'em up or crop the pic to get rid of this little piece of building. purely a graphic cleanliness comment...

Dec 3, 05 8:29 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Cameron this one is the best i've seen so far.

Dec 3, 05 9:55 am  · 
 · 

Cameron, the books being offered at Quondam almost completely contain content that has been and still is free online (at web venues outside of Quondam) since 1998 and onwards, plus Quondam and Museumpeace offer over 5000 other pages of free content. Exactly two (print-to-order) hardcover copies of QBVS1 have been sold thus far and the royalties for that amount to $15.50, which I won't ever receive until royalties amount to at least $25.00. So, given all that, the vast majority of my publishing experience is to do it for free, and perhaps I am just even more foolish to suggest that others do so as well.

You're right, however, about my misunderstanding the mission of AFH and its forthcoming book.

Dec 3, 05 10:20 am  · 
 · 
aml

ok, don't kill me but the temptation was too strong and that image too funny:

Dec 3, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
aml

not in chile, in ecuador. but thanks. although i doubt the offer is still up after i posted above.

Dec 3, 05 10:39 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

van damme...wow, what a great/strange cover for a design book...yet that picture does seem to convey the necessary seriousness/no bullshit attitude combined with results (i.e., huge muscles) that compel a re-evaluation of one's own efforts.

too bad all the stories tend to describe claude as an ass-hole, otherwise it might be perfect.

Dec 3, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

aml... I have far seen far, far worse.. you should have seen the inter-AFH roasting of me on my 30th...

the lovechild of zaha and me was um... yeah.

Dec 3, 05 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

anyone else like the fark cover that's all black with design design design design in red and "like you give a damn" in white? I feel like that one would be great with the red cross incorporated.

I feel like the catch phrase should be emphasized more in a lot of these. It's pretty powerful! The photos make you interested to see what's inside, but they also make it look more "finished", like a polished-perfect phaidon coffeetable book, not like a call to action. The iconic covers are more like a call to action.

Dec 3, 05 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: