Archinect
anchor

Sin City

Hasselhoff

WHOA! Have you guys seen this movie? Holy crap! WHOA!

Nov 26, 05 10:43 pm
vado retro
Hasselhoff

I've never seen so many dead hookers.

Nov 26, 05 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

hell yeah, it's dope. my favorite character has to be kevin.

Nov 27, 05 12:02 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Good flick

Nov 27, 05 1:20 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sin City is the best comic book movie I've ever seen in terms of visuals. I loved looking at it even as I hated the story.

But the best comic book movie ever, ever, ever is Unbreakable by M. Night Shamaylan. That movie rocks, really gets into the psychology of being a super hero and someone outside of society. Beautiful.

Nov 27, 05 9:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my four year old great nephew has an imaginary superhero friend named-todd.

Nov 27, 05 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The Village by M. Night Shamaylan, on the other hand, does not rock. Especially when you see it in a theater where they used the wrong film gate so you can see the boom mic in every scene.

Nov 27, 05 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I actually thought the Village was a beautiful and well-done love story (and Joaquin Phoenix is gorgeous) but I saw the "surprise" coming early on.

Nov 27, 05 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Lb if you haven't seen 'Walk the Line' with Joaquin, go see it.

MKS hasn't done a decent movie since 'The Sixth Sense'. He's trying to hard to create an end of the movie shocker.

Nov 27, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Did you ever see the sketch on Robot Chicken (Adult Swim) when they make fun of Shamaylan? It's hilarious. Something weird happens then he pops on the screen and says "It's the twist!" Rinse. Repeat six times. That is the problem with his movies. It's like 2 hours of build up for the twist. In Sixth Sense, you had no idea it was coming. Now, it's the point of his movie. I thought Signs was ok until the twist. It was kind of an interesting movie about how the unknown affects a family. Not the best movie ever by any means, but a few scenes were fairly intense.

Nov 27, 05 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yep, very true Hasselhoff, re: the "twist" endings.

and to get back to your original post: since I have a toddler I'm up often in the middle of the night, and Sin City's scary visuals - especially how Elijah Wood's character was ended - haunt me while I sit in the dark trying to be a soothing presence. Very very effective image making. Felt the same way about 28 Days Later, though that movie I felt had a much more intriguing story along with some gorgeous visual effects.

ether I do intend to see Walk the Line, I've been looking forward to it since I heard it was being made!

Nov 27, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Speaking of comic books and their movie adaptations ... for years I've heard that a film version of Alan Moore's/Dave Gibbons' Watchmen is in the works. Has anyone out there read it?

Nov 27, 05 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

I'm still holding out for the movie adaptation of The Prisoner...

Nov 27, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Smoke, The watchmen is one of the best comic book stories of all time. It realy gets into how superheroes are still real people in the end. And Rhoarch is a phenominal charecter. That, "kingdom come" and "the dark night returns" are my favorite graphic novels, but "fables" is a great storyline too.

Nov 28, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
sunburntkamel

another excellent comic book movie this year, oddly enough, was batman begins. waaay darker and waaaay more interesting than the rest of the series put together

Dec 10, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

another good comicbook movie is 'dark city' by alex proyas, who also directed the original 'crow' movie with brandon lee

m. knight shamaylan should make a movie where the twist at the end of the movie is NO TWIST!!

Dec 10, 05 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Shamaylan and Lucas should collaborate on the most twisted, smoked out, fogged up, lava'ed, computer animated, suspense filed pile of shit ever.

Dec 11, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
norm

SUNBURNT
i agree that batman begins was good...with the exception of katie holmes.
PIXELWHORE
i agree about the prisoner. with hollywoods fascination with re-doing old stuff i'm suprised it hasn't happened yet. jc van damme did a movie (maybe double team?) a while back that ripped off parts of the prisoner. it was predictably bad.

Dec 12, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: