Archinect
anchor

Breaking the barriers

Downunder

Hello all,

This is my first post. I am a project engineer working for a large construction company in Australia. I have been in the industry for 17 years & enjoy it immensely. Architecture has always fascinated me from a young age & continues to. From my point of view, in the Australian industry, there seems to be this great divide between builders, architects, engineers & services consultants. With technology advancing platforms like BIM, which tries to bring all the components together, there still seems to be this wall constructed from many, many years of indifference. Is it just human nature? or is it just Australian? I have the firm belief that our industry is based on client satisfaction. To give the client the service & end product as fast as possible, on a realistic budget with quality & efficiency intact. If this is every ones goal then why can't the professionals agree & work together? Is it because of design compromise that the architect wont let go? Is it professional indemnity insurance that makes the engineer over compensate the structure instead of trying to achieve aesthetics for the architect. Does the builder get so fed up with the changes along the way that the client ends up suffering in monetary terms? Does anyone out there have a view on this matter? Surely all projects would benefit if these issues were focused on & agreements made prior to the first shovel load of soil being removed from site.         

Nov 28, 11 7:40 am

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: