Archinect
anchor

autodesk revit building, what do u think?

sparch

two of my studio mates were wanting to get revit.
i tried it. since i am used to autocad, i wasn't that comfortable with revit.

what do u think about revit?
i heard... u can do both rendering, and drafting in revit.
what are their qualities?

Nov 22, 05 3:54 pm
tect75

revit requires a different perspective in putting a building together. with revit on must think about how the building is built and model it that way. while this should be true of autocad as well most of the time people just see cad as lines on paper. revit is excellant at modeling. it takes ime to aquaint yourself with the process. example e=erase in cad. d=delete in revit. i go back and forth between programs and screw this up all the time. curse whatever one i used last. revit renderings are ok. i still think exporting the model to some other rendering program would be the way to go for pro looking stuff. give it a try you'll like it when u learn it.

Nov 22, 05 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Revit is a great software, If you are working on Architectural drawings its a great tool and design asistant. I use revit all the time its a great help in reducing the time it takes you to produce your drawings. ITs similiar to Solidworks (I had heard that it was created by the same people that created Pro-E, and Solidworks, but not sure if thats true) about the renderings a lot of people always complain that it does cartoonish renderings but the truth is, its like anyother software were you have to mess with and tamper with it till you get the full feel of it, then you will be able to produce some good photrealistic renderings.

Sep 22, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
christophw

Revit is great but you have to forget Autocad when you're learning it and change the way the office is working. Especially some old-school bosses (50+?) can't handle this: a model instead of a drawing. (where is my tracing paper?) For sure it's the future (compared to automtive industry architects are fare behind) but it will need perhaps the time span of a generation... In Austria for example offices usually hire & fire people (and nearly everyone knows Autocad) and they make no effort to teach someone a more complex program: it's easyer to use cheap students, etc.

Sep 22, 06 4:14 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

who has a free copy for me???

Sep 22, 06 7:12 am  · 
 · 
not_here
http://students.autodesk.com

our school is plastered with little key-shaped banners.
they are offering autodesk is offering free academic versions of a few of their things there. i downloaded revit and viz last night... today i'll install and see what they are like.

Sep 22, 06 9:41 am  · 
 · 
bigness

shit. just 4 months after i'm not a student anymore.

Sep 22, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: