Archinect
anchor

All-nighter Food

Reemy

Hey guys,

Whats your favorite food to eat on all-nighters?
other than the usual coffee...

Nov 13, 05 11:36 am
j-turn

want some advice:
lay off the coffee during an all-nighter. it's dangerous.
It dehydrates you.
It picks you up, makes you hyper, and then in 1/2 hour its just drops you like a sack of rice. You need to keep an even keel.
I recommend OJ instead. If you really need the caf try green tea.

my favorite food: egg mcmuffin in the morning. mmmm.

Nov 13, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

I hate coffee-
-Pop Tarts
-Krispy Kreme hot Doughnuts, the workers at the KK also feel bad for you when they see the bags under your eyes and may throw in a little something extra.

Nov 13, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

oh krispy kreme ... i love you krispy kreme

Nov 13, 05 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
bucku

we have one a mile awy that is open 24hrs. fresh baked at like 3 or 4 in the morn.
nice and fresh.

Nov 13, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

raw organic goji berries and raw chocolate...

GOJI:
The richest spectrum of antioxidant carotenoids, vitamin A, and zeaxanthin.
B-complex vitamins plus vitamin E.
Vitamin C (500 times more per ounce than found in oranges).
Beta-sitosterol (an anti-inflammatory, may improve sexual potencey and reduce prostate enlargement).
Betaine ( May help reduces levels of homocysteine, a prime risk factor in heart disease).
Essential fatty acids plus Cyperone (Promotes normal heart function and blood pressure).
Physalein.
21 trace minerals plus linoleic-acid (lowers body fat, supports lean body mass).
Corrects "chi deficiencies", such as low energy, insomnia, heart palpitations, and anxiety.
Polysaccharides (fortifies the immune system).
18 amino acids.
Solavetivone (anti-fungal and anti-bacterial compound).
*ORAC units (oxygen radical absorbance capacity scale) is a measure of the ability of antioxidants to absorb oxygen “free radicals”; 3000 units is considered an industry standard for health. Extreme Health’s Goji Berry is 25,300 units.

CHOCOLATE:
What is Cacao?

Cacao is the seed of a fruit of an Amazonian tree that was brought to Central America during or before the time of the Olmecs. Cacao beans were so revered by the Mayans and Aztecs that they used them as money!

In 1753 Carl von Linnaeus, the 18th-century Swedish scientist, thought that cacao was so important that he named the genus and species of this tree himself. He named this tree: Theobroma cacao, which literally means "cacao, the food of the gods."

Cacao beans contain no sugar and between 12% and 50% fat depending on variety and growth conditions. Nature's First Law cacao beans are around 40% fat content (low compared to other nuts). There is no evidence to implicate cacao bean consumption with obesity.

Magnesium
Cacao is remarkably rich in magnesium.

Cacao seems to be the #1 source of magnesium of any food. This is likely the primary reason women crave chocolate during the menstrual period. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and is associated with more happiness. Magnesium is the most deficient major mineral on the Standard American Diet (SAD); over 80% of Americans are chronically deficient in Magnesium!

Stimulant or Superfood?
Cacao contains subtle amounts of caffeine and theobromine. However, experiments have shown that these stimulants are far different when consumed raw than cooked.

Consider the following: Experimental provings of chocolate by homeopaths indicate its stimulating effect when cooked. One experiment conducted with a decoction of roasted ground cacao beans in boiling water produced an excitement of the nervous system similar to that caused by black coffee, an excited state of circulation, and an accelerated pulse. interestingly, when the same decoction was made with raw, unroasted beans neither effect was noticeable, leading the provers to conclude that the physiological changes were caused by aromatic substances released during roasting.

MAO Inhibitors
Cacao seems to diminish appetite, probably due to its monoamine oxidase enzyme inhibitors (MAO inhibitors) - these are different from digestive enzyme inhibitors found in most nuts and seeds. These rare MAO inhibitors actually produce favorable results when consumed by allowing more serotonin and other neurotransmitters to circulate in the brain. According to Dr. Gabriel Cousens, MAO inhibitors facilitate youthening and rejuvenation.

Phenylethylamine (PEA)
Phenylethylamine (PEA) is found in chocolate. PEA is an adrenal-related chemical that is also created within the brain and released when we are in love. This is one of the reasons why love and chocolate have a deep correlation. PEA also plays a role in increasing focus and alertness.

Anandamide (The Bliss Chemical)
A neurotransmitter called anandamide, has been isolated in cacao. Anandamide is also produced naturally in the brain. Anandamide is known as "The Bliss Chemical" because it is released while we are feeling great. Cacao contains enzyme inhibitors that decrease our bodies' ability to breakdown anandamide. This means that natural anandamide and/or cacao anandamide may stick around longer, making us feel good longer, when we eat cacao.

Allergies?
A recent study showed that only one out of 500 people who thought they were allergic to chocolate actually tested positive. Allergies to chocolate are quite rare. It is typically the case that the person is in fact allergic to milk and dairy products.

What to do with Cacao Nibs?:

Try eating them straight, a tablespoon at a time. Chew thoroughly and experience the taste extravaganza of raw chocolate.
Add to coconut-based or fruit-based smoothies to enhance the flavor.
Add agave nectar or honey or another sweetening agent to the raw cacao nibs and chew!
Freeze cacao nibs with sweeteners (agave nectar or honey are fantastic). Eat cold.
Blend cacao nibs into herbal teas with the Peruvian superfood maca.
Add cacao nibs to raw ice creams for the best chocolate chips in the world.
Create a raw chocolate bar! Blend the following raw ingredients together: cacao nibs, agave nectar, carob powder, maca, coconut oil, angstrom calcium, and cashews. Pour into a mold and freeze. Eat cold and experience the truth about the food of the gods!
Warning: Eating cacao nibs may cause you to have THE BEST DAY EVER!
Cacao is great fun for everyone - especially kids!

Refrigeration of these cacao nibs is not required, although recommended. Cacao nibs keep well in cool, dry conditions.

Certified Organic, Raw Cacao Nibs are exclusively sold in the United States by Nature's First Law, Inc. (www.rawfood.com).

Nov 13, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Coffee-beer-coffee-beer....

Pretzels just go great with beer...

You can live for days like this, I swear.

Nov 13, 05 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

go to your local chinatown herbal medicine place for goji berries. the stuff they prepackage at whole foods or other annoying like-supermarkets are a rip off. i think goji berries go for like, $3/pound in chinatown, vs. $3/2oz.

Nov 13, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Reemy

oh my god geezopeez! Thanxxxx for the advice..i will go buy some berries and cacoa nibs, especially since im a chocoholic. :D have u tried cacao nibs? i wonder how they taste like

I dont like drinking coffee but my friends do..the whole studio soon smells like coffee :/ eew!

Nov 13, 05 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

The only berry I ever consumed in studio was picked in Central America, dried, roasted, ground and then infused in hot water. Delightful, and also full of anti-oxidants.

Nov 13, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

hey, of course! let me know what you find. my mom (all right, i'm a mama's girl, okay?) always sends me bags of dried ginseng to "feed my brain" when i'm pulling all-nighters. it tastes gross but is supposedly very good for inducing productivity.

i'm a big coffee fiend but supplement my caffeine intake with healthy stuff like almonds and trail mix. i also like yoghurt.

Nov 13, 05 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

oh, and i'm not sure about cacao nibs...i just buy dark chocolate that is at least 71% cacao.

Nov 13, 05 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Archichet

How about a california burrito..

Nov 13, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
NSJ

cacao nibs are fantastic. bitter and smooth. try them on top of some really top notch vanilla ice cream or pop a handful in your mouth. sharfenburger makes good ones.

Nov 13, 05 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

Any self-respecting architect knows that the best all-nighter energy booster is a few rails of coke done off some 2-ply chipboard.

Nov 13, 05 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
upside

chipboard? only if you want splinters up your nose.

dexanphetamine make me sleepy.

chocolate covered coffe beans.

bannanas. potasium is good for tired musles.

never, ever eat the last lonely meat pie at the servo. there is a reason its still there at 4am.

Nov 13, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

the four architecture school food groups:

coffee
beer
aspirin
anything wrapped in plastic (aka from a vending machine)

Nov 13, 05 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

To add to anything wrapped in plastic, anything that has a plastic lid that you remove, then remove the metal lid, then replace the plastic lid, then microwave, then carry back to you desk were awaiting its arrival is a from-the-bathroom-brown-paper-towel placemat.

Nov 13, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh, and nuts and dried fruit. Not too salty.

Nov 13, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Don't eat. Being hungry will keep you awake.
Don't drink coffee. It will make you a twitchy wreck for drawing or modelling.
Drink lots of water.

Nov 13, 05 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
j-turn

sage advice agfa. I can't stress the no coffee thing enough. It's a killer. A short term sollution to a long term problem.

Nov 13, 05 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Reemy

not eating for a long period makes me irritable agfa..

dark chocolate 72% mmmmm...
Looks like were the same geezopeez, my mom sends me ginseng tea or capsules a lot..the tea really works even much better than coffee ,though capsules are not as powerful.

Id stick with nuts and dried fruit thanx garpike

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

Nov 13, 05 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

Water, Apples.

Nov 14, 05 1:05 am  · 
 · 
zahand

THC

Nov 14, 05 4:39 am  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

am i the only junk food binger?

i'm notorious for ordering double double chicken wings and wedges... sometimes a pizza... at midnight or the wee hours of the morning.

Nov 14, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
surface

I've said it many times before, but here goes:

1) Unlimited quantities of green tea. DECENT green tea. I mean you at least need to be at the level of YamaMotoYama teabags, if not with a full-on water boiler and loose-leaf sencha.

2) Bananas with organic peanut butter (only ingredients should be peanuts, and maybe salt.) This takes about 2 weeks to kick in for maximum effect, but if you have one or two bananas with PB every day you will feel very energetic soon.

3) If you get sick of the bananas, then green apples with PB.

4) Soba noodles, if you can get your hands on them.

Nov 14, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

maxwell street

Nov 14, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
rutger

Balsamico Berries:

clean a bunch of strawberries and raspberries,
add some sugar if you like,
then add a splash of good balsamic vinegar

Whenever you take a break, take a portion of the fruit and grind a little pepper over it...don't bite, just let the fruit melt away in your mouth...for a few minutes you will be in heaven.

Then return to the fight with chronos...

Nov 14, 05 11:44 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yeah I'm with j - coffee is as necessary as oxygen during an allnighter. Coffee plus healthy food is key. Susan's banana+PB is excellent, as are dried fruits and nuts. No preservatives or sugar. Sugar will pick you up then slam you down hard.

I once followed a recipe I heard was a favorite among surfers to keep energy up - melt Jolly Ranchers in a can of Jolt! cola (remember that stuff?) and got so jittery and sick I had to go home. Sugar is bad.

Nov 14, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 

i feel about coffee AND sugar what j felt about coffee. what's caffeine do for you but make you process your sugar faster? you gotta keep puttin' in the sugar too!

Nov 14, 05 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Bojangles...

Nov 14, 05 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
ret

Damn, i hate myself...
only cigarettes/and an occasional coke(drink)....no food, coffee or anything else. 6 years of all nighters ...am still alive (but i can't see my lungs so im not sure how long taht theory will hold)
No one else a smoker?

Nov 14, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
pinstripeprincess

mmm... finger licking good....

Nov 14, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Too much coffee = e.d.

Just what I read...

Nov 14, 05 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

No that's too much riding upright bicycles = e.d.

Viva recumbency!

Nov 14, 05 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
geezopeez

do you guys have time to do any exercise?

Nov 14, 05 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Reemy

now I feel like drinking coffee.....I might go for a biscotti as well..hmm dunno

· 
garpike

My seats have holes in them.

· 
Reemy

walking around campus, does that count?

Nov 14, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

I've spent many days doing not much BUT drinking coffee and riding upright bicycles, and I must say, my e. has had no d. as a result of either.

Nov 14, 05 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

soybean nuts(taste like cardboard), expresso, and a stockpile of 7-11 burritos.
I agree with the dehydration, so bring water in 1/2 gallon containers.
I love coffee.
I would suggest eliminating the all-nighter completely, working through the day and night until 12-2am and sleeping 4-6 hours a night.

Nov 14, 05 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Carne asada fries if your getting food or ampm hotdogs on the caffiene run.

Nov 14, 05 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
A

Noting beats a good White Castle - too bad there never was one in my college town.

Nov 14, 05 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

flat foods. nothing but flat foods.

Nov 14, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

the late, great super tex-mex from taco cabana

they changed their menu, now it's like choose 3 for $5.49 or something like that, i have no idea what was in the super tex-mex plate except that it was muy sabroso

also whataburger and we used to like going to the smoking section at denny's until austin went non-smoking

and so did i

Nov 14, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK so now I'm not folowing my own advice about restricting sugar, got two hours of sleep last night and I'm so tired I'm slamming coffee and leftover Halloween candy...buzz me through the weekday, please....

Nov 15, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK so now I'm not folowing my own advice about restricting sugar, got two hours of sleep last night and I'm so tired I'm slamming coffee and leftover Halloween candy...buzz me through the weekday, please....

Nov 15, 05 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

ooo, you're fingers are even a little jittery, lb.

Nov 15, 05 10:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

wwWwWhhHooooOO MMEeeEe?!, JjjjjIiiiiIttttTEerrEErrYYy??

Nov 15, 05 10:18 am  · 
 · 
zahand

ret, i'm in the same fucked up path

Nov 15, 05 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i know people that used these:

me? give me pizza. lots of garlic. thin crust. and lots of sprite. caffeine is reserved for the final 2 hours.

Nov 15, 05 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: