Archinect
anchor

Worst CD you own

Hasselhoff

What is the worst CD that you own and actually listen to?

I just listened to DJ Sammy.
#1 Why did I ever buy that?
#2 Why did I just listen to it?

Although, I think I sold the CD and just have the MP3s left. It's so bad, but I had a hankerin' for it.

Nov 7, 05 8:18 pm
Ms Beary

Mortal Kombat

Nov 7, 05 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

worst CD i own and actually listen too

well... normally i stop listening to albums when i start thinking they are bad...

but i do own Weezer's Make Believe
(i still buy their albums in hopes of one day returning to pinkerton)

Nov 7, 05 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
archinaut

unfortunately, strawbeary, mortal kombat was stolen from me.
though i am listening to duran duran right now... ahhhh... 80's nostalgia

Nov 7, 05 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

I can't say I still own it ... but the very first CD I ever bought (at age 10 or so) made it to The Onion's Top 5 Worst CDs of All Time.

The Kat's Solo-Debut.

Nov 7, 05 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

... did I just post that under my name, relegating it to google-indexing forever?

I'm officially getting a HANDLE: I need an alter-ego for these archinect-confessionals.

Nov 7, 05 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all my cds are pretty good.

Nov 7, 05 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I'm cleansing that shitty DJ Sammy from my skull with a nice helping of Reign in Blood. Slayer cures all.

Nov 7, 05 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff
Nov 7, 05 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Heather Ring

This actually reminds me of my favorite Miranda July assignment:

http://www.learningtoloveyoumore.com/reports/18/18.php

Nov 7, 05 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
yellowtrace

the first CD i ever owned was the aladdin soundtrack. interestingly enough i pop it in now and then still to remember being 11 years old. i'll know every word until the day i die.

Nov 8, 05 12:42 am  · 
 · 
theWanderlister

At moments it's good but most of the time... (sigh)

RENT: Original Soundtrack Recording

I was a 15 year old Texan when I bought it, dreaming of that beatnick life in Alphabet City. When I actually ended up in Alphabet City I wanted to leave and move to Brooklyn.

Hmm... Brooklyn the Musical... let's not evven go there.

Nov 8, 05 1:17 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

it may say anniversary collection, but I have the original 12 inch.

Mahna, Mahna - Mahna Mahna is a classic

Nov 8, 05 3:58 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

Ok so it's not the worst, it's not a CD but it was the first and i still listen.

I submit this as something awfull that graced my CD decks recently in a party DJ mix style.

Nov 8, 05 4:01 am  · 
 · 
Medit

not the worst either but I still listen to Zappa's Jazz From Hell from time to time.. I guess I lose some brain cells every time I try to get "into" that "music"... still Zappa's one my heroes..

btw, I used to fustigate myself with Reign In Blood or Juda's Screaming For Vengeance some years ago too..

Nov 8, 05 5:41 am  · 
 · 

Whats wrong with Reign in Blood??
Raining Blood is my ringtone on my phone!

Nov 8, 05 8:42 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oasis - be here now
spice girls - spice world

those are two albums that i occasionally listen to that have drawn funny faces from other people, although i personally wouldn't call them the worst

first album i bought was the beastie boys license to ill. funny thing is my teacher at the time was poking fun at us kids saying that all our favorites wouldn't last. i pretty much agreed that he was probably right but at last check the beasties were still hanging in there...go figure

Nov 8, 05 8:58 am  · 
 · 
grumble

QUEEN Greatest Hits

Nov 8, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

Im glad someone brought up Slayer - maybe a a little South of Heaven is exactly what I need to start this AM off right.
This Slayer talk needs to be on a BEST cd ever page.

Nov 8, 05 9:48 am  · 
 · 

I can't remember its name, but it was on of HR's (from bad brains) side projects, a more straight up reggae album. Thought to myself, "well if its HR, it can't be that bad..."

Nov 8, 05 9:57 am  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

most recent disappointment, thalia zedek. secretly i harbour a displeasure at admitting it to a friend of mine who is so right. the little i saw in her went all poof. but then again, lady and bird came to the rescue. the asshole behind the counter couldnt get me coco rosie or anony's self titled album. i hope he rots in pop hell.

Nov 8, 05 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Oh yeah! Slayer is great. I used them to remove all memory of DJ Sammy from my brain. For my money, it doesn't get much better than Slayer.

Nov 8, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

Worst one I ever bought:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Soundtrack
when I was like 10
word.... I miss Vanilla Ice

Nov 8, 05 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

On man. I had that TMNT tape from Pizza Hut back in the day. I used to think that rocked so hard. All of the songs were about pizza. It was ridiculous.

Nov 8, 05 11:11 am  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

And who else rapped about pizza? ...... That's right . . . The Fat Boys.

http://www.amkw.org/images/randoms/fatboys.jpg

Nov 8, 05 11:28 am  · 
 · 

Vanilla Ice did the main song to the second TMNT movie... he was rapping during the big fight scene between the Turtle's and Shredder's super-mutants Rahzar and Tokka.

Nov 8, 05 11:31 am  · 
 · 
kyll

just to top ALL OF YOU - i'm going to go buy Kevin Federline's new HOP HOP ALBUM! AND ROCK IT when my friends come over, just salivating for the appaled twisted look on their face as i bob my head maniacally.

kevin federline album - $18
4 bottles of cheap but good wine - $70

the look on your friends faces when you blast it and try to rap along hubby of the year -

priceless

Nov 8, 05 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

a $17.50 wine bottle aint cheap!!

3 buck chuck is all my friends and guests get.

Nov 8, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

and then bootlegged vanilla ice

Nov 8, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
kyll

oh what?? cheap bottles?

"man i'm rich. i'm so rich i get in my hummer to drive down my driveway just to get the paper.

i'm so rich that i have a lawyer just to watch my other two lawyers!

so rich that - f*ck a platinum card - i have a uranium card

so rich that i dont even f*k girls, i just hire someone to f*k for me"

that my friends....was a classic. great cd- so officially off-topic

Nov 8, 05 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
J3

Warrant-Dirty Rotten Filthy Rich

Nov 8, 05 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

totally crossed out

Nov 8, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i also used to get teased because i listened to faith no more's "the real thing" along with the rest of their albums...
little did they know mike patton is a god
'the real thing' did kinda sorta suck though...

Nov 8, 05 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Epic is a great song.

Nov 8, 05 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

lletdownl
I used to love faith no more. i own pretty much all of their stuff and even though i dont listen to it anymore i still enjoy hearing it whenever it's being played. I must be the most out of fashion dude on this site... shame on me. i guess i'm the nostalgic kind but whenever i hear one of their tunes it reminds me of my wild teenage days and i get this weird kind of feeling... Epic will always remind me of summer '89 when we used to play that tune over and over with my pals and party like the crazy, immature kids we were. I still have some vivid images of that time etched in my mind. I always tend to associate music with some key periods of my life and i realize that a lot of tunes i listen to or hear on the radio remind me of very specific times of my life, good or bad, happy or sad. I must be getting old...

Nov 8, 05 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

oh, I listened a lot to Falling To Pieces, Surprise You're Dead! and the rest of that album from FNM (together with some L7, Jane's, Living Colour, Soundgarden or RHCP stuff) when walking by Mies Barcelona Pavilion once a week back in the early 90's... great times... his 1929 masterwork will always be associated to me to Jane's Ritual de lo Habitual.. (specially Stop!, Been Caught Stealing and Three Days)..

Nov 8, 05 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Epic reminds me of the Mexican student that stayed at our house in the summer of '89. She HATED that song. So me, being the cool 9 year old that I was, I used to sing it to her. She would yell "JA! SHUT UP!"

Doberman, music definately has those associations. They say smell is the brings about the strongest associations though. I had this Old Spice Pacific Blast deoderant while I was in Japan and I have flash backs if I smell that again. Or the incense that they burn at the Buddhist temples. I brought some of that back. It's like being there again.

Nov 8, 05 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

"I am skin and bones, I am pointy nose, but it MFin makes me try..."

great album front to back.

Nov 8, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Cherry Poppin' Daddies

i too fell victim to that really lame swing fad. so glad it died quickly.

Nov 8, 05 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
doberman

I will always love Jane's addiction, their music is timeless. I really enjoy Perry's new stuff too. I like the fact that's he's moved away from the 'arty' metal sound of Jane's to incorporate more contemporary beats into his music. Apparently he'll release a new album with his new venture 'satelite party' next year, i look forward to listening to that.

Nov 9, 05 7:07 am  · 
 · 
e909

i once accidentally bought a live cd. i was mostly after the lyrics, so i guess the $5 (used cd) wasn't totally lost.

it was as unlistenable as almost all live recordings are.

Nov 13, 05 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
db

I still love it, but my wife swears it is one of the worst things EVER:
Malcolm McLaren: FANS

Nov 14, 05 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

my wife made me sell most of my crap before we got married, but somehow i slipped past with "elo's greatest hits", the double-CD set. of course, being the good husband i was about to be, i didn't make her sell "music from ally mcbeal." she sold it without me asking.

trudat about music associations...geez, every time i hear faith no more on KLBJ i remember 1992 and the summer before my freshman year of high school, where i used to lust over this senior drum major who used to wear that faith no more shirt to practice. (this is prolly dating me somewhat)

she and the one who used to wear the morrissey shirt, but funny, i don't think of girls when i hear morrissey...i think of veal

Nov 14, 05 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

nobody here own's this i guess.

Nov 14, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

guess which units

Nov 14, 05 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

ochona, elo's greatest hits keeps me rockin' the whole way through....

Nov 14, 05 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

word

my favorites are "livin' thing", "turn to stone", and everyone's favorite chuck berry cover "roll over beethoven"

oh and "do ya"

Nov 14, 05 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Ochona you inspired me and I'm now using ELO to keep me awake as we speak! Sweet Talkin' Woman rocks, but it sounds like sweet talkin "Lola" of ya ask me. I need to get some better speakers for my laptop, to truly appreciate the blistering orchestral lushness of ELO.

Nov 15, 05 11:54 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I can't believe there are other ELO fans out there.

rock on!

Nov 15, 05 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

sony studio monitor headphones

the best $90 you'll ever spend

i had to go to a DJ shop to get them

i also forgot to mention my nearly-complete steely dan catalog

always makes me imagine myself in big aviator sunglasses smoking menthols and cruising around 1970s suburban dallas in an oldsmobile convertible

Nov 15, 05 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
marimbaONE

Citizen Dan - the bulk of the series - unless you're going the vinyl route.

Nov 15, 05 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: