Archinect
anchor

Worst CD you own

A

vanilla ice - to the extreme: still the #1 selling rap album of all time

that ablum made a rebirth a few years ago after vanilla was on the "surreal life"

and I second the $90 studio monitor headphones. Nothing pumps out Ice Ice Baby better than those things.

Nov 15, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ochona et. al.

no need to be ashamed of ELO! They are a massage for my ears. See also, OMD, while we're on the subject.

Worst CD I own: some Super Furry Animals thing that I bought because it was playing over the soundsystem at Atomic Records while I was there (that place somehow inspires tremendous purchasing... I think they pump something into the air...). Also maybe Enya. I have an Amy Grant tape still that somehow I can't let myself throw away, for the memories. Also: RENT. UGH! I can't believe that double-cd set got me through a semester of studio. How did I not go mad?!?!?!

Nov 15, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

stop
collaborate
and listen
ice is back with a brand new invention

what was his previous invention? i always wondered that. turns out it was his life story. turns out he was the stepson of a used-car dealer from carrollton, TX.

that was the VERY FIRST CD i ever owned. got it for christmas 1990. never listened to anything beyond the first two songs. but then on may 24, 1992 i heard "smells like teen spirit" for the first time and subsequently used "to the extreme" for a frisbee in the field behind my house

i know...may 24...i was behind the times on that one

Nov 15, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Bad CDs that I am NOT ashamed of owning:

Kansas : Greatest Hits
Abba : Gold

In studio, sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Nov 15, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
A

smells like teen spirit.....smells like my own wasted youth. I was a big Nirvana fan until he blew his head off. A couple years ago I watched some documentary where they tried to say it wasn't suicide but his wife did it, or hired it done. So, I dug out those CD's and was reminded how early 90's they are. Just can't get into them anymore.

Why is it that I grow up listening to depeche mode and just love it when someone plays one of those throw back tracks, but cannot stand to hear any of that early 90's grunge stuff?

Nov 15, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

you know it's funny, but i feel the exact same way...

i keep the nirvana because it really did change my life (or at least my perception of music) but i ditched the pearl jam in the aforementioned pre-nuptial CD purge. about 1993 i thought "black" by pearl jam was the single greatest song ever. god, i heard it now and i cringe. why were they all so sad? seattle is a great place to live.

the smashing pumpkins i kept -- billy corgan was always too concerned with the end product to be called "grunge"

Nov 15, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
A

I've never thrown out a CD so I've got all the good stuff from my teenage years and before. Funny you should mention the Smashing Pumpkins because I recently heard some songs off their 1993 album and found them to still be fresh. Grunge had it's time and place and just can't move beyond that time for me, and apparently others.

Right now I listen to a lot of techno/house music. In the late 90's some friends in Spain and England introduced me to the nightlife in Ibiza and I've been hooked ever since. I'm sure a few years from now I'll be ashamed I own DJ Tiesto or Paul Oakenfold CD's. Oh well, at least it isn't Coldplay.

Nov 15, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I don't know about cds (I have alot of them), but I own the legendary out-of-print Vanilla Ice movie: Cool as Ice.

the movies tagline? "When a girl has a heart of stone, what's the only way to melt it? Just add Ice."

http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/385.html

Nov 15, 05 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

ah yes, the memories...i'm just waiting for someone to make the classic early-90s retro movie a la "the big chill"...of course, i've already made it in my head

Nov 15, 05 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
job job

way back in high school my sister won a prize at a local radio thing, and she got:

deeeeLITE, stone roses and tribe called quest (in tape cassette, kid!)

few years later she won again (dunno how) and got

zingallamadummy, oasis, beck

I told her to start buying her own damn music

tribe is still kickin' though the tape is pretty stretched out

Nov 15, 05 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

that one is HORRIBLE

and they were...so...good...once...

Nov 15, 05 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

my hero.

Nov 15, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

manamana, who is that ^?

I admit, right now I'm practically falling asleep on my desk and to keep me going I'm listening to Cheap Trick's Greatest Hits...some of it sucks, but most of it is so fun! Especially "She's Tight" and "Surrender" of course...

Nov 15, 05 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

LB - it's shot from the epic cinema masterpiece I cited above.

and j is right, you need to drop the zero and get with the hero

my homies will back me up on that

more fun stuff here

Nov 15, 05 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
e909
always makes me imagine myself in big aviator sunglasses smoking menthols and cruising around 1970s suburban dallas in an oldsmobile convertible

emmmm. the stereotype? primer 65 impala with etched glass. whiteboy lowrider sounds by robin trower (no lyrics, but i think it was "bride of sighs")

Nov 17, 05 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
e909
Tiesto or Paul Oakenfold

some of tiesto's will survive, but oakenfold was doa.

Nov 17, 05 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

wammo

Nov 17, 05 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Oakenfold is a much better producer. Perfecto was a top dance label in its day supporting Carl Cox, Timo Maas, and BT.

Nov 17, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
e909

oops typo, "bridge of sighs"

Nov 18, 05 1:00 am  · 
 · 
poly

crematory's some album ... i've even forgotten the name ....
my fault ... i thought it would be heavy !!
bloody hell ... they were playin the organ

Nov 19, 05 2:16 am  · 
 · 
conversationkiller

oh wow there are some pretty bad ones on here.
although i cant agree with faith no more, come on its mike patton.
i use to work at a record store back in the day and i pick up alot of promos that were terrible, but one in particular that i still listen to (mainly alone on interstates) is.....

Nov 19, 05 5:29 am  · 
 · 
surface

I have been waiting for the perfect time to share this with everyone..

Artist: Captain Ronzo and the Thirsty Pirate
Album: Shiver Me Timbers
Song: Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.susansurface.com/captainronzo_flw.mp3

Nov 20, 05 10:50 am  · 
 · 
surface

I am sorry, the artist should be Captian Ronzo The Thirsty Pirate

Working at a club, bands just leave their demos for me. Some are weirder than others.

Nov 20, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Thank you Susan, for saving my weekend at the last minute!

Nov 20, 05 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

ouch. that hurt my brain.

Nov 21, 05 10:06 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Based on Genre:

Hardcore / Metal - Aria - S/t
IDM - Daedelus - Esquisite Corpse
Hip Hop - Busdriver
Rock - Chin up Chin up

Nov 21, 05 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
surface

"I dig the things that he architected."

Nov 21, 05 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

susan, my goodness that is precious...thank you so much for sharing. it's the most entertaining thing i've heard all day.

Nov 21, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I think it belongs in the Feel Good Thread!

Nov 22, 05 12:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: