Archinect
anchor

Drafting tools of years past

I'm putting together a holiday card for my office, and I plan on incorporating images of old drafting tools into the design.  The problem, however, is that I am a recent graduate and as a result my knowledge of drafting tools is limited to pens, rulers, t-squares, and some other basic tools.  I would love to hear from some of the older members here on what tools they used before these crazy computers came out and screwed everything up.  Images would be amazing, but at the very least I would love to just be able to compile a list of some old drafting tools that I could hunt down.

Thanks!

Nov 14, 11 9:35 am

Compass, french curves, dust bunnies, templates.  Lots of templates.  People templates, furniture templates, automobile templates, etc.  Yo!

Nov 14, 11 10:29 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

No Christmas Card would be complete without, "Timesaver" Curve No. 26.  It is the classic of all French Curves.

Nov 14, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
cyberpunk10

This thread is bringing a tear to my eye.

How about an old lead sharpner?

Nov 14, 11 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

ruling pen

Nov 14, 11 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

zip-a-tone

i still have nightmares about this crap...

Nov 14, 11 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

I just graduated this year and I could take a picture of most of this stuff if I just dug through my closet. Am I antiquated?

Don't forget the Ames Lettering Guide

Nov 14, 11 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Push Pins

Letraset

Nov 14, 11 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
comb

Drafting machine:

Nov 14, 11 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Comb, thanks for posting that image!

I had that exact drafting machine, attached to a massive 3'x5' electric drafting table that raised and lowered with the touch of a foot pedal (bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz).  My dad bought the whole package for me in my second year of architecture school, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven; it cost the same as a small car at that time.  (He gave me my first wooden drafting table for Christmas when I was 9; another fantastic gift, and memory.  Thanks, Dad!)

The downside was hauling around that half-ton f***er each and every time I moved in my (very mobile) twenties.

Nov 14, 11 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
nmgeller88

Thanks everyone these are great! 

Nov 15, 11 8:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: