Archinect
anchor

best way to remove burn marks/stains from laser cutters?

bRink

does anybody know of a good way to remove the burn marks and stains from a laser cutter on basswood? (with minimal sanding)

Oct 27, 05 2:34 pm
garpike

Unfortunately the best way I know to cover up burn marks is to spray paint the wood another color. White is popular as it photographs the best. Also, using primer will prevent the need for too many layers of paint.

Sorry if this is way off what you are looking for, but there is no real way to remove the burn without removing the wood.

Oct 27, 05 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
bRink

ic thanks, yeah the model were building is not sprayed, but that would be great for another model.

Oct 27, 05 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

what I always did was run over the edges with a damp sponge. picks up all the loose soot and makes them less messy to handle. a quick run with sandpaper or a nail file stolen from a random female usually got the rest of it.

Oct 27, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Cool! I am learning too!

Oct 27, 05 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
joshyates

i've done extensive work with laser cutting, finding the best calibrations and methods and i've found that the best way to remove burn marks is to pervent them in the first place, the easiest way i've found is by covering the wood, or any other combustable material, in masking tape, just go out and buy a 2" wide roll, cover the material and burn away, the tape will take most of the surface burn and thus render your wood clean and pretty

Oct 27, 05 5:43 pm  · 
1  · 
le bossman

burn marks don't really matter. remember, the purpose of your model is to explain your idea, relative to the design and construction of space. whether it looks "good" or not doesn't matter, since this is not what is the primary concern of architects per se.

Oct 29, 05 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
ichweiB

just sand it...leave yourself an 1/8 tolerance or even a 16th and and sand it off

Oct 29, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
samuelzachary

I had an idea yesterday, and it worked so well I had to post it somewhere, instead of masking tape. take a damp piece of paper just enough to stick to the wood and stick it on top, works much better than masking tape and much easier to remove. it works like a charm. super clean face near the cuts.

Jul 7, 19 2:43 pm  · 
1  · 
poop876

I was waiting for this answer for past 14 years!

Jul 8, 19 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: