Archinect
anchor

Show me the money (part 2)

I couldn't find the previous thread (about architectural software), but these guys - architects from London no less - just scored 2M to upgrade their OpenBuildings app:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/12/openbuildings/

So, again, I'll ask: why wouldn't more out of work or new grads be able to come up with something like this? Why wouldn't they be able to latch onto other startups?

Apr 13, 11 8:40 am

Complex technical knowledge. Also, 'social media' projects sometimes just don't stick. It can take dozens of costly tries to even get a single website to have decent regular traffic. Aside from that, we're not given the stipulations on what the investment capital actually entails.

However, websites driven by user-generated content maybe in for a big surprise if this lawsuit gains any traction.

"The Huffington Post is the target of a multimillion dollar lawsuit filed in United States District Court in New York on Tuesday on behalf of thousands of uncompensated bloggers.

The suit seeks at least $105 million in damages for more than 9,000 writers.

The case raises significant unsettled questions about the rights of writers in the digital age and, at the very least, promises to offer a palette of colorful characters on each side."

Apr 13, 11 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

J -I don't think an architect would have to have the technical knowledge themselves - that's what partnerships are for. what i'm interested in is how designers can contribute to the user experience in ways that they typical u.i. designer (and definitely programmer), as well as generate more interesting idea content. 

the capital in the open buildings site probably means that person has bought X% of the company at Y valuation. I can think of plenty of out of work architects who'd trade 90% of a company they're helping create in exchange for 100k/yr salaries the next 2-3 years.
Apr 13, 11 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

openbuildings is doing nothing different than what architizer is doing as well, for instance.

It's a crapshoot when it comes to starting a successful online endeavor. Make no mistake, many are trying. I made whopping $15 in 6 months or running a site.
Greg, when does your site go live? Looking forward to it!
Apr 13, 11 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Looks like Techcrunch beat us to it. We'll be reporting on the OpenBuilding news today on Archinect. We're working with OpenBuldings and DesignerPages on a series of exciting upcoming projects, with an announcement in NYC at Archinect's launch party on April 29th. You heard it here first.

Apr 13, 11 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

aww poor Designerpages. Met the two guys (kids?) who started the site a few years ago. One of them scoffed at my suggestions at making the website more relevant to actual architects.

Products> Popular manufacturers> Pottery barn

Umm, yeah. No.

The 'meetup' feture seems fun if you want to get drunk for free in NYC. So there's that.
Apr 13, 11 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Rusty - end of the month if everything holds. We'll be going down to the AIA Convention to do a soft launch.

Apr 13, 11 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

back up in indianapolis it seems that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting some startup app firm. one media/tech savvy acquaintance of mine has started one called Mobiltopia. He is not an architect but, he quit a lucrative position to start this up. Also, I 've read a few stories about the App Bubble on the horizon. Since I'm appless I can't really comment, though.

Apr 13, 11 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Vado - I'll agree that there's a ton of money sloshing around out there on dubious startup models and apps. The problem with investors is that they see a Zynga go from 0-4Billion in capitalization over 2 years and they just can't resist jumping in. They see it as 'just' a video game company but don't realize why much less figure out how to duplicate the success. The reality is that, like architecture, it's much more about the people involved than the money thrown at it.

My own goals are much more modest...

Apr 13, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: