Archinect
anchor

reasons to NOT move to NYC?

Alright, I'm debating on moving to NYC as I'm looking for a change of scenery. Everyone I've talked to only mentions why I should head to NYC, and I'm yet to hear any negative feedback. Being the cynics that we are, I figured the archinect crew would be able to give me some reasons to balance off all the positives I've been hearing.

Fire away!

Oct 18, 05 9:33 am
CalebRichers

expensive as hell

Oct 18, 05 9:38 am  · 
 · 
ochona

good lord, prepare for the missives:

1. expensive as hell as CR said
2. bitter cold for some of the year
3. burning hot for some of the year
4. humid for a good part of both the hot and cold
5. crowded (if you don't like that sort of thing it's a minus, otherwise...)

my biggest complaint in my visits, though, is

6. little open space

central park doesn't cut it -- there seem to be precious few spots where a person can go and sit and think and be alone, whereas in chicago i remember going to this one rock in lincoln park where i'd put on my headphones, take out my sketchbook, and nobody would come by for hours. and here in austin all you have to do is get in your car and you're alone.

there are probably places like that in NY, but i guess you have to live there first and search them out. NY doesn't seem to be introvert-friendly.

Oct 18, 05 9:49 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Decide for yourself dude. I'd go to shows with you and I can hook you up with some good tatoo shops.

My ONLY complaints:

-The fact that I cant walk out my front door and be in the water with no one in the lineup.
-The women here.
-Indie Rat kids.
-Rich Europeans
-My roomate got jumped for being a white kid in Bushwick.

That's it.

Pixel, you should move here man. Try it out for a year, if you dont like it, move back. Half of the people on here who dislike NY have never lived here in the first place so their opinions are skewed.

Oct 18, 05 9:58 am  · 
 · 

My reasoning behind this: I'm young and have no real reason not to try living in NYC for a bit.

Prolly: does Civ still have a shop in NYC? I'd go to him for ink just to say I went to Civ for ink...

Oct 18, 05 10:02 am  · 
 · 
ochona

then go to NY and frick what anybody else says

there are plenty of downsides but never mind the bollocks, eh?

Oct 18, 05 10:37 am  · 
 · 
mm

NYC is great. My only complaint is that Civ's tattoo shop is on Long Island, not in NYC.

http://www.lotustattoo.com/

Oct 18, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 

walmart
Oct 18, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
JG

let me save you the time and money by suggesting you move to Brooklyn or Queens. It seems that many newbies try out manhattan for a year, grow weary of it's cost, frustrations, and quality of life and end up in the outer boroughs where they save on money, have laundary in the building, can eat decently for less $20, and sit under a tree. Eventually though, even they grow tired of the NY weather and head to California.

Oct 18, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
My reasoning behind this: I'm young and have no real reason not to try living in NYC for a bit.

That's exactly the answer, Pixel sweetie. Go do it now, now while you still get energy from the crowds and the diversity and the juxtaposition of welath and barely scraping by, before you have reponsibilites of life that will make it harder to enjoy what the city offers. Go, go, give it a try, it's really easy to exit NYC if you decide in a year you don't like it...

Hilarious pic, Steven!

Oct 18, 05 11:08 am  · 
 · 
ochona

walmart on the green

do it, PW, just go to NY and make sure you go to carnegie deli (or whatever delis people suggest that might even be better although as a visitor who loves pastrami i couldn't find any)

Oct 18, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Dude Daredevil is a great shop too... If you can stand the sceenie teenies on the LES.

But regardless, there's a niche for anyone and everyone here... I'll help ya look for a spot to live too man!

Oct 18, 05 11:15 am  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Be like NIKE- Just do it.

Despite my boredom with NYC (I am one of the folks who hasn't lived there but loves to visit one a year to hit the museums) I say give it a try for a year. Whomever was suggesting Brooklyn or Qns has the right idea. I have two long-time friends who started out in the buroughs and then moved into the city once they got settled. They are both still there and love it.

Besides, if you wake up one morning and can't stand it anymore you can always come out LA- we love NY refugees.

If you do decide to come out here tho. bring me a bagel with lox- Its the only thing about Manhattan I really pine for and they can't seem to make them very well out here.

Oct 18, 05 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

very few freestanding buildings are being built in NYC (if that is your thing)

Oct 18, 05 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

soho is becoming too commercial.

yeah,
i think i read that somewhere.

Oct 18, 05 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

i live in soho. commercial or not, its a great place to live. it is convenient to subways, has great places to eat, go out and shop, and best of all...it actually feels and IS a neighborhood.

Oct 18, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

Hey, that affects us.

Oct 18, 05 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i have one reason; everyone in NYC is full of shit. i worked there for about a year and the people i worked with - aside from friends - were insipid little pissants, that cared more about who you knew, and less about what you knowledge and personal experience you brought to the discussion. if starfucking city dwelling cockbites is up your alley, then by all means, jump that ratty cunt like it's nobodies bidness!

so, do i sound bitter or what?

Oct 18, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Sounds like you just couldnt hang in a fast-paced architecture office. Too many mistakes?

Your response is pretty fucking ignorant.

Oct 18, 05 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh yeah, what about sri lanka? does that affect you too?

Oct 18, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
A

C'mon, NYC?!? It's soooo 20th century.

Another reason since I just love to be the contrarian. NYC is always on the lists for the worst place to do business. Latest I've seen, it ranks as Inc. magazine's #6 worst. Here

Oct 18, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
MickMack

but that list includes boston, sf and nyc in the top 10 worst too...AND its got Atlanta at the top of the list...now thats a city i am not into at all (and yes, i am southern and yes, i have lived there).

Oct 18, 05 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ok. yeah i couldn't hang, yeah that's it. mistakes? if you don't make mistakes then architecture would not be the profession for you. i don't fear making mistakes or rigorous work, what i do loathe - and apparently this strikes a nerve with John - are people more interested in impressing people with their "connections" to this famous so-and-so or this actor, or this rock star, or this artist, or the fashion designer they met in that trendy bar. you get the point. while the circle of dolts that i worked with was small, and representative of my limited time in NYC, those experiences are mine. they are not representative of the whole and perhaps the everyone in my original statement should have read "...everyone i worked with in NYC..."

i would rather enjoy working with a group of hard working, diligent individuals, dedicated to the work and not the bullshit i witnessed.

Oct 18, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

c'mon, puddles, there are many more important things to care about than Sri lanka.
-but please do not ask me which ones cause i haven't learnt the whole movie you're refereing to by heart, alright?

Oct 18, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Toby

If you want to move to NYC you should give it a try and not wonder for the rest of your life what it is like to be there. Be prepared however to make the same amount of money as anywehere else and have a much more expensive life. By that I mean: 1/2 will go to rent. Food, transportation and clothing (have to have winter clothes here) are not cheap either. The apartments you will live in NYC will be small and old. You will not make money in NYC, it is all a pure experience thing...many offices,museums, young professionals....and a nasty winter...

Oct 18, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Prolly, stop the h8er bashing. We've heard it before from you in the other NY forum. We can't all be as hip and styln as you, and you are clogging the forum with you fake-o wannbe ghetto comments, so give it a rest please.

Based on the Inc. article I think I'm off to Middlesex NJ.
Jersey girls are sweet (provided they're not from Newark).
I think the article is focused more on folks who want to cash in on potential "booms" rather than people who are interested in a diverse, urban lifestyle. I mean Ft. Lauderdale- come on!

Oct 18, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Not to mention Lox sunday mornings.

Oct 18, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

anybody who moves to NYC for lox and bagels should be photoed in front of MOMA with a disposable cam and never allowed to read somebodyelses' newspaper in subway. ;)

Oct 18, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

fogettaboutit

Oct 18, 05 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

well...we have to end apartheid for one,
and slow down the nuclear arms race
stop terrroism and world hunger.

we have to provide food and shelter for the homeless
and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights
while also promoting equal rights for women.

we have to encourage a return to traditional moral values

most importantly we have to promote general social concern
and less materialism in young people.

-ok, i admit it...i cheated since i was watching this while i ate brunch earlier today ;)

Oct 18, 05 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
mm

related to this discussion:

http://post.economics.harvard.edu/hier/2005papers/HIER2073.pdf

Oct 18, 05 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
and/or

well done, puddles,
It took me a while to realize you were randomly quoting american psycho -which, by the way takes place in nyc- throughout the forum.

Oct 18, 05 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
AP
talk about reasonable
Oct 18, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

I never even had Lox and Creme Cheese on a Bagel before I moved here. I was all about Biscuits, Gravy, Grits and Sweet tea.

Reason #1 NOT to move to NYC

-No good southern food [no sweet tea, no soul food, no chicken and waffles, no brunswick stew, no good BBQ pork, no pig pickins]

Humph.

Oct 18, 05 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
pomotrash

Word Puddles! And I just finished the book and didn't pick up on it.
My fave part of American Psycho is the music reviews spliced into the book. The piece on Genesis is amazing. I will never disparage Phil Collins again.

Oct 18, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...wait, puddles, it's a workday and you're not only eating brunch but watching American Psycho while doing it? Did I miss out on your announcement that you're independently wealthy?

If you're independently wealthy NYC is the place to be. But back to topic, Pixel, if you're young and unencumbered and broke NYC is also a great place to be - for awhile, at least.

Oct 18, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
newuser

I agree with the remarks on Chicago. I could find a quiet place any time of the day to relax, reflect and recollect myself. I miss riding my bike through the city and feeling a sense of ownership and invunerability..
Chicago is underrated vs NY. It seems everybody who wants to become an architect moves to NY with some hopes of becoming, rather than exploring other cities and possibilities. I wonder with all the architects and designers how one is possibly able to get commissions.
I enjoy NY when I have the chance to be there, although living in a tiny apartment and paying how much? to live in relative nothing I would concede and move.

Oct 18, 05 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

another big reason for going with NYC is that I'd like to get into fabrication, and I know there is a pretty big scene for that in the area. Figure if its what I want to explore I need to take some chances, tighten up the 'ol belt, and get my hands dirty...

Oct 18, 05 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Josh Emig

I'm 32 and married, so I'm not that young and I'm not single. I'm just out of grad school, in an entry level job and no trust fund. I love living in New York, and I'm not struggling to get by. I'm just saying this in response to some of the comments. Which isn't to say that they are totally wrong, but a lot of what you hear about New York (both positive and negative) is hype.

There are lots of scenesters and annoying rich people and pretensions starfucking cock ... whatever that was ... they are all here, but so are about 6.9 million other people with lots of different stuff going on. Things can get crowded and expensive, but you'll find your spots.

Let me say, "YOUR spots." You'll discover that in addition to all of the big things about NYC that people mention -- the museums, the music, etc. etc. -- there are a million little things that you'll take for granted that make it great. Everybody has their favorite bar, venue, tattoo shop, record shop, , architectural landmark, coffee shop, coffee cart, pizza, bakery ... favorites seem to mean more when the choices are endless. You get to have yours too when you move here.

Get a job, get a roommate (or 2 or 3), and you'll be fine. From your last post, it sounds like your mind is already made up. Do it.

Oct 18, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

:shiver: Pixelwhore said dirty ahhhhh :shiver:

Oct 18, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

man, you people give me wanderlust... always talking about picking up and moving somewhere crazy.

Pixel- If YOU can't think of any reasons on your own, then don't go searching for them. Good luck.

Oct 18, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Because NYC is a great place to VISIT and then leave again, and if you lived there (in your cockroach infested basement room in Queens) you couldn't visit.
Besides, NY makes you forget what else there is out there, you can get stuck, and there is a lot more out there than NY.
One plus is the cheap short flights to Europe.
Move to Denver my friend, you would do well here. Very affordable renting, great sized city and VERY friendly.

Oct 18, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

PLEASE don't move to New York City. It is just too dangerous with all the muggers and rapists. Sure it looks cool on T.V. but it is not safe.
I threw my back out the last time I visited (emphasis on last as I will NEVER go back to New York City) by wearing my backpack on my chest to keep the hands of the pickpockets out of my bag. I still have not fully recovered, the yoga has helped a bit, but I'm still in pain when I move in certain ways.

Oct 18, 05 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Just try it. You'll regret it if you don't. You can always leave if you dont' like it.

There is a New York Hardcore Tattoo shop on Stanton St. but I have no idea about the quality of the tattoos. I have never gotten ink in NYC, the only tattoo I have was obtained when I was underage in my home town.

Oct 19, 05 10:10 am  · 
 · 

"Just try it. You'll regret it if you don't. You can always leave if you dont' like it. "

I think thats what it all boils down to. Now its a matter of figuring out my timeline and seeing if I can sneak into a fabrication job...

Oct 19, 05 10:22 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

I hear there is no lack of urine or feces in New York.

Oct 19, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
surface

So let us know when you are here and we will take you out for overpriced drinks in a bar filled with the assholes that are hated by betaindustries!!!

No, there are plenty of wonderful things about the City. Come fabricate away. I'm just a year and a half out of art school, not independently wealthy, and yet inhabitng a perfectly nice and decently sized Manhattan apartment in a great part of town, doing OK and not resenting life (though while I was in school, the apartment I had was terrible). It happens.

Oct 19, 05 10:54 am  · 
 · 
mdler

corner bistro sucks

Oct 19, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Susan, you live in NY? Which "Hardcore" shop is this?

Flyright on Metropolitan in Wburg does good work too.

Oct 19, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

the burger joint rocks!

Oct 19, 05 11:51 am  · 
 · 
surface

Um.. it's the shop that is, as far as I can tell, called New York Hardcore. Its neon sign is that NYHC (in an x/circle/youknowwhati'mtalkingabout) thing. i believe it is owned by members of Murphy's Law & Agnostic Front. I do not exactly share their approach to tattooing, though. http://www.prickmag.net/murphyslawfeature.html

Oct 19, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: