Archinect
anchor

Architecture Periodicals

LimitedPromos

What architecture magazines are people subscribing to? It seems most American publications that are affordable are pretty weak in terms of projects featured and general content. Books like El Croquis are too expensive to subscribe to, only worth it if you are interested in the feature...Anyone have any suggestions for an affordable/quality periodical?

Oct 11, 05 4:43 pm
sunburntkamel

i used to subscribe to metropolis, which is decent, not amazing.
i also used to steal my boss's architecture, which is also decent.

Oct 11, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

architectural review, detail, metropolis, dwell, architecture

architectural record sux !!!

Oct 11, 05 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

monument

and if you sell your children into slavery:
detail, AD

Oct 11, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Agfa8x,

Monument is good, and getting better. I remember 7-8 years ago when it was pretty dire, and the issues were sporadic, the ownership kept changing etc. They do a good residential issue. I am also a fan of AR Australia, Detail, AR UK, Inside. Also, dont forget SUBAUD.

Meanwhile, Architecture NZ isnt worth the paper its written on.

Oct 11, 05 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
sharpie.

I used to subscribe to architectural review. This year, I don`t know why I went for Archiectural record. Btw, I find too many ads highly annoying in architecture magazines.
how does every one take it?

Oct 12, 05 2:16 am  · 
 · 
db

Residential Architect and Contract.
can't beat the price for these 2 -- FREE!!
and they do sometimes have some decent features.
worth getting for the price.

Oct 12, 05 7:09 am  · 
 · 

stopped subscribing awhile back, but read domus and BD (UK archinewspaper) online. and get more news from this site than in magazines, which is quite telling.

if i buy a magazine i tend to get A+U, which isn't expensive for japan but i think like 20-30 dollars an issue in the us. crazy, ennit? and it still has ads.

Oct 12, 05 7:20 am  · 
 · 
general acres

Praxis, 306090, AD, Metropolis, I.D., Cabinet

Oct 12, 05 9:29 am  · 
 · 
stainB

i get BD free weekly. Architecture Today and RIBA Journal also free with membership. Also ICON through paid (discounted) subscription. AJ just went through rebranding and very informative too.

but difficult to find time to read them all...

Oct 12, 05 9:53 am  · 
 · 
mauOne™

I picked up an issue of Urbis NZ, & thought it was good

Oct 12, 05 11:10 am  · 
 · 
adso

Dwell is the only thing I can stand to look at anymore. I used to be a big fan of Metropolis, but I think it has lost its way.

Oct 12, 05 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

azure - for a dose of canada-centric architectural coverage. a different perspective, but only slightly, as you might expect.

Oct 12, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

At least Urbis is cool. Architecture NZ lacks coolness, criticality, and much architecture to speak of.

Oct 12, 05 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I like Blueprint, and Grey Room, too.

Oct 12, 05 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
biggz

Fine Homebuilding
-nothing too groundbreaking but excellent coverage of everyday construction techniques of residential.

Frame
-slick interiors, dense, lots of projects per issue, a little expensive.

Oprah at Home
-kidding

Oct 12, 05 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
upside

japan architect, has scaled details.

monument is getting better.

a+u is ok.

i wouldnt even wipe my arese with Architecture Australia

Oct 13, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Arch Australia is about twenty times better under justine clark than it was under whoever came before that...

Oct 13, 05 2:15 am  · 
 · 
upside

although there seems to be less in it with every issue

Oct 13, 05 5:35 am  · 
 · 

i like wallpaper and i.d.

Oct 14, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dwell, western interiors, elle decor, house and garden, garden design

all better than the crap in Architecture and Architectural Record

Oct 14, 05 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I haven't subscribed to any but I buy, on a by-interest basis, 30-60-90, Praxis, Volume, and whatever happens to have a good article in it at the time. I should just start subscribing to Purple & SelfService because I keep buying them consistently, though.

Oct 19, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

architecture magazine was once good -- but after arriving 1-2 months late and getting progressively (!) thinner and thinner (while not getting any cheaper) i just quit bothering. the graphic design especially sucks.

architectural record is okay -- broad monthly overview of architecture, but more thick than deep.

architectural review is far better (but far more expensive in the US). the best (primarily) english-language architecture periodical that i can find. i love the stealth sense of humor that sneaks in (kinda like in the economist, which i would also recommend just for general information)

we used to deride my former boss mercilessly for subscribing to "shelter" mags like house & garden and the like, but often there are some great projects amongst the not-so-good. metropolitan home and house & garden are good for this.

i have a love/hate relationship with dwell...typically very good projects, and they tapped into a market in terms of making modernism seem more friendly to a wider audience. but it's about as "everyday" as design within reach. especially galling to me are the obligatory photos of kids and wives -- seemingly genetically engineered in their cloying pseudodiversity -- and the "there IS a there there!" theme that shoots thru their coverage of the 95% of the US that is not in NY, SF, LA, or boston.

Oct 20, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

lately, i've kept the latest from arch digest, hunch and radar within an arm's reach of my personal toilet.

and you can find the archived issues in the more public, downstairs "reading room"

Oct 20, 05 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

my fav architectural magazine is Wired.

I can find more architectural items in one of their issues then I can in an entire year of arch record.

Oct 20, 05 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
decatur

where can you buy monument in the US?

Oct 20, 05 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: