Archinect
anchor

Creating Timber Frame Packages

abrillAY

Hello All,

I've recently become involved in a start-up interested in designing, milling, and marketing timber frame packages for small residential buyers.

I am very new to timber framing methods, but I plan on doing the design in Rhino to start to make the cut lists etc.

I am wondering what books/resources you recommend to learn about Timber frame construction/design.

Also, any inspiring precedents for small timber (possibly Pre-fab) homes?

Cheers

Abrillay

Nov 3, 11 4:55 pm
PsyArch

Abrillay, 

where are you planning on doing this?

Nov 14, 11 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
sjniles

Steve Chappell's   A Timber Framer's Workshop: Joinery, Design & Construction of Traditional Timber Frames  is pretty good for traditional joinery. It  It doesn't cover any steel joints or cnc joints, although most of the latter are derived from traditional joints. The previous posters question about location is probably important, if you are in an area with strict seismic codes.

How are the frames going to be cut? CNC or hand (power tools), just curious. I worked in a timber frame shop for a year and did a bit of both, but most of the work was cnc'd.

Nov 14, 11 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I'm asking because I'm interested - we're looking for a manufacturer.

Nov 14, 11 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

If you are building the structure for the timber frame house you should probably talk to an Structural Engineer too.  The purpose of the frame isn't just to look good its got to stand up and the joinery needs to with stand specific loads and forces... i'm guessing you don't know what those are, how to calculate them or how they vary from state to state or city to city.  Its very calculated and strategic, right down to aesthetics, shipping and assembly sequence.

Nov 14, 11 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: