Archinect
anchor

The Frankenstein House

http://bit.ly/t4lbQe

Nov 3, 11 9:42 am

One of the worst nightmares an architect can have (although honestly the lack of work usually supplants this kind of trouble) occurs when a customer asks for a Frankenstein-house.

This situation is characterized by the wish that the house we are about to think incorporates several images, taken from magazines, situations the customer lived, places he visited, but above all taken out of context.

Nov 3, 11 9:53 am  · 
 · 

Frankenhouse See monster house.

monster house n. 1. A house that is too big for its lot. 2. An oversized house, especially one that doesn’t match the scale or style of neighboring
architecture. Also Frankenhouse.

source: The Hamptons Dictionary

Nov 3, 11 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Stephanie

I think this is pretty rich, coming from someone who has an almost direct rip-off of Chicken Point Cabin by Tom Kundig on his 'projects'.... Just sayin'.

Nov 6, 11 11:59 am  · 
 · 

LOL

Nov 6, 11 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Miles. Don't copy that floppy,

Nov 6, 11 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, it really is exactly the same. Did you even bother to take a look at my project? Are you refering to the look towards the lake? I'm in Portugal. We have some good architects that you may have heard of and those are my references. I had no idea who Tom Kundig was. I have to thank you, now I know it!

Nov 11, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 

is stephanie talking about the modernist cabin project?

@ henrique, maybe some sour grapes going on.  I didn't see much of a comparison there either.

some nice projects in your portfolio (and yes shades of siza and de moura) -- I see you just recently joined archinect, hope this introduction doesn't discourage you.  often the discussions in here are really good...

Nov 11, 11 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Stephanie

Really? HAHA... okay then. Here's a visual aid.

Side to side comparison.

Now that I think on it, the way your facades have the 'open/close' reference reminds me of Delta Shelter. 

It's not that I think Tom Kundig has the copyright on big windows looking over lakes towards mountains, it's just... it looks so similar. I thought it was ironic that you posted a rather righteous sounding article about clients who want architects to piece together homes from bits and pieces collected over time. And here you have a proposal for a 'modernist cabin' in the states with what look to me like bits and pieces collected over time.  

If it's just a coincidence, no worries! Anyways, as you said, now you know who Tom Kundig is and you thanked me for that so... you're welcome :)

Nov 11, 11 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

well, if you're willing to overlook the difference between a trellis and an oversized glass garage door, then sure ok... it is striking... sort of...  as long as kundig's door is up.

if you compare single photos from inside residential living spaces looking out toward the view, there's going to be a hell of a lot of designs that look at least as similar as those two.  and after those two images are put back in the context the rest of these two houses, which don't have much in common, it's takes an eager trigger-happiness to jump to accusations of a rip-off.

Nov 12, 11 12:44 am  · 
 · 
go do it

good architects borrow

great architects steal

Nov 12, 11 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Derek, thanks for your kind words. What really strikes me is that I really didn't know Tom Kundig's work when I designed the "Modernist Cabin" a year ago. Of course I like what he does though. The same way I like the work of many other architects. I have almost 20 years of practice and I think it's the 1st time I'm accused  of plagiarism.

Stephanie, I think you are kind of a paranoid person. And maybe you should broaden your horizons. If you compare the 2 projects, beside those lake views, you won't find any more points of comparison. Wait, both have concrete, wood and glass, but I guess there a few more fellows who combine these materials in the same project.

The 2 views you compare, side by side, are in fact similar. But we got there in completely different ways. Derek has a point there, when he says " inside residential living spaces looking out toward the view, there's going to be a hell of a lot of designs that look at least as similar as those two".

If you like to lose your time in silly comparing exercises, and you are a particular fan of my work, there are plenty of opportunities in my website. I only posted in archinect a few recent examples.

Nov 12, 11 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: