Archinect
anchor

Architect of yesteryear's

Transparence

According to you, who is the best architect of yesteryears?

Frank Lloyd Wright

Alvar Aalto

Buckminster Fuller

Daniel H. Burnham

Charles Garnier

Oct 30, 11 2:31 pm
Rusty!

Francis Rattenbury 

Oct 30, 11 2:32 pm  · 
 · 

Rattenbury?? I thought I was the only person in these parts familiar with him. He is a household name in Victoria, BC, where I grew up. Pretty dramatic life... on par with FLW's.

Oct 30, 11 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Lackey

Louis Kahn..... Corbu...

Oct 30, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Filippo Brunelleschi

Henry Hobson Richardson

Rudoph Schindler

Oct 30, 11 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

imhotep

Oct 30, 11 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

Philip Johnson, if he's still dead.

Nov 1, 11 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

Frank Gehry, Peter Eisenman, Zumthor, Eric Owen Moss, Zaha Hadid, Michael Graves, just to name a few.

Nov 1, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

FLW had the most influence, but Aalto, Fuller, Lutyens...these people are all important and I think labeling one "best" is useless.  Speak of them in context of their work and time.

Plecnik is probably my favorite last turn of century-ish architect.

Nov 1, 11 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, eew.  I was guessing and confusing him with Otto Wagner a bit, too.  He was a student of Wagner's I believe.

Nov 1, 11 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Schindler was great, Neutra too.  Both had a pretty distinct influence on the look of a lot of "modern" architecture (or at least the stuff I like ;-) )

Nov 2, 11 12:14 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

As always I will add Bruce Goff to the list.  He also mentored many architects of notable mention.

Nov 2, 11 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

"Frank Gehry, Peter Eisenman, Zumthor, Eric Owen Moss, Zaha Hadid, Michael Graves, just to name a few."

If "yesteryear" means their time has passed, I heartily agree. 

Nov 2, 11 8:58 pm  · 
 · 

it's all behrens for me.

mentor to gropius, mies, corb, and even wright.

painter, architect, graphic designer, industrial designer. 

all good.

Nov 2, 11 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Big ups to Steven Ward for the first Behrens drop. Mies, Corb, and Gropius worked at his office at the same time, designing factories of all things! I don't know about best, but that's a whole lot of influence to throw into the game.

Nov 3, 11 4:38 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Brazilian Oscar Niemeyer.....and he keeps on ticking....at 102~An Architect for yesterday and today...

Nov 3, 11 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Giles Gilbert Scott

Nov 3, 11 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: