Archinect
anchor

Switched to UI/UX Design?

2scale

Has anyone made a career change to user interface design?
If so, what type of training did you undertake to get a job as a UI designer? Or, how did you develop a portfolio to get your foot in the door.

Apr 11, 11 2:41 pm
i r giv up

You get very little training in architecture that is relevant to UI/UX Design besides basic graphic design-type skills.

Read. And work out your own project.If I wanted to make the switch (my undergrad would easily allow for that), I'd start building nice interfaces for my Rhino Python scripts (as well as adding more complexity in terms of actual algorithms, ie, using neural nets and genetic algorithms instead of working at a small object scale) and reading up as much as I could on the topic.My portfolio would consist of screenshots, and an extremely polished website a few complex scripts and programs available for download. Oh, and no winging it with WordPress, think Joomla, think Drupal, think custom backend and amusing functionality.There are tons of resources out there. You just have to look for them.
Apr 11, 11 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
breezviz

I haven't made the career change, but I did undertake a Web Development teaching position...

A lot of basic knowledge in HTML, CSS, PHP, MySQL, etc. was very helpful. Lynda.com was a great resource for teaching me the basics of CMS and other Web Development topics. Also, Content Management Systems were the biggest part of my teaching position. I helped teach teens how to create Joomla websites from scratch -- so I would 2nd fluxbound's statement of thinking "custom backend and amusing functionality".
Apr 11, 11 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: