Archinect
anchor

Stuck with a young adolecent supervisor who is 50 in a strange office

ithink

Currently working after a long layoff now going on almost a year of work, knock on wood. Well, here is the deal. This office is definitely the most challenging to integrate myself into. This is due to several reasons, but the main reason is that these supervisors see me as some kind of a threat to their authority because I just know too much for my own good, and my current supervisor is a real drama queen, way too emotional blows everything way out of proportion, and then takes credit for my effort. The thing is that I'm not a young 20 something I am a young 30something, and I know enough to be able to complete my work without having to talk to any supervisors. I get along great with everyone, but I get this passive aggressive vibe from some people. This current supervisor like to micromanage. That part doesn't bother me at all I've dealt with that before, but his drama queen moments where he blows things way out of proportion, that really is just something he should leave at home.  Its almost like this person is having a midlife crisis and he takes it out on others, and I have seen emotional people at work. This person takes it to a whole new level. Unfortunately these guys were the only ones smart enough to hire me. I guess what really bothers me is that  they don't give me credit for my good work, and he re draws what i already drew and claims credit. So, I am stuck. OK I've finished venting thanks archinect.

Oct 22, 11 12:43 am
metal

Maybe he thinks you don't know enough. How is he a drama queen? with deadlines? Is he correcting you too much? 

I worked with one of those before, its not easy. If they say something unprofessional though, that's when they cross the line. If the time comes, you should stand up for yourself.

But if they're just pushing you, that's different. I learned a lot from my drama queen, and eventually, we grew closer.

Oct 22, 11 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
jplourde

In terms of design, I feel that unless your name is on the stationary, any decision a more junior person makes, (unless it's glaringly obviously logical) is wrong simply because he/she made it.  It's this weird nebulous middle ground.  One has to to care enough to continually propose ideas and solutions, with the full understanding that most of those proposals will be ''wrong'' not because they're bad ideas but simply because of who they came from.  But then again  junior people can't just not propose ideas because then you're just a facilitator, not a collaborator.  

But I'm talking about design issues, not something tedious that has to simply get done no matter what the design outcome is.

Sorry if that's not really the point.  This sounds like more of a personal issue.

Oct 25, 11 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

my guess?  he's just gotten/is getting/about to get divorced.  stay out of the way.

Oct 25, 11 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Nice to see you, elinor.  Good advice as usual!

Oct 25, 11 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

hey donna!

Oct 25, 11 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Whoa elinor! The only time I had an impossible to deal with supervisor (that matches OP's description), it drove me completely nutty to a point I hated getting out of the bed in the morning. Gave everyone (below him) loads of nonsensical shit and downright sabotage. I ended up offering my resignation (I was going to get fired anyways because rusty likes to use outdoor voice in situations of passive aggressiveness). Two others who worked with him left a month after me. 

Six months later he was divorced. According to friends who still work there, he's quiet as a bug these days. 

Divorced people. Sheesh!

So elinor, do you also do palm readings?

Oct 26, 11 12:16 am  · 
 · 
elinor

hm...there's an idea for how to bring in some extra cash...architect/palm reader.  (reminds me of this place in chinatown that used to sell luggage on the sidewalk...they had a sign above that said 'j. chun, architect/luggage').  

about divorce, though...a psychologist once told me that in studies, divorced people sometimes ranked right below torture victims and camp survivors on the trauma scale...imagine how hard it is for narrow-minded, middle-aged, male control freaks who like to tyrannically exercise their meager power over everyone around them...  not that i feel sorry for them...

Oct 26, 11 9:15 am  · 
 · 
ithink

Thanks Elinor and rest of you too. I'm just going to stay out of the way it would totally go against my professionalism to make this personal. Thank you guys

Oct 27, 11 9:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: