Archinect
anchor

Where are the Tulane students to go?

tzenyujuei

I'm writing from up here at Cornell. We have just recieved some 35 students from the Tulane Arch program which we are trying to accomodate. Its going to be a very right squeeze as Rand Hall is already pretty much at full capacity. It seems very strange that they are coming all this way when there are so many reputable and accredited programs in the south. Texas, Alabama, and Georgia all have a number of schools that could easy accomodate a dozen students. I was just wondering if anyone else out there is taking on students or are they all heading up to Ithaca, NY?

Sep 7, 05 11:55 am
Archinect

check archinect.com/emergency - there is a list of schools that have offered placement for student affected by the hurricane.

Sep 7, 05 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

Ah ok, sorry... I didn't go to the bottom to see the list of schools. Has anyone met any of the students yet? I am in the march program here and I dont believe we are taking on any masters students.

Sep 7, 05 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

I'm a Tulane student, and I'm going to NJIT for the semester. Do you think you could convince some of the Tulane students at Cornell to go to the Architecture Expo(sed) thing this weekend so I might be able to meet up with them? I've been having trouble finding people...

Sep 8, 05 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

USC decided to admit 150 students displaced by Katrina. Most of these will be students in other majors, but I'm sure that some will be arch students, since they have a five year program as well.

Sep 8, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

tzenyujuei, you sound like you don't want them at your school...

tulane students come from all over the us and the world - most are not native southerners.

Sep 8, 05 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

oh no no, i was just unaware that they were being taken in all over the country. I am originally from the south so I have no hard feelings towards my former neighbors. It was a purely informational question.

Sep 8, 05 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

no worries...

from what i can gather, most students are trying to find new schools relatively close to their families and/or close friends (if possible) to avoid having to deal with finding and paying for room and board.

to make matters worse (if that's possible), many are going to schools that are considerably less expensive than tulane, but they're still paying tulane prices.

Sep 8, 05 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

i'll second poisondarts observation - we (at georgia tech) have taken in a handful, including some german exchange students, mostly because they are from or have relatives here. at one point last weekend, we received a call from tulane's dean asking if we could take the entire thesis class plus the professors. in the end, our semester was already moving along a little too far (thus messing up the support courses) and we heard that they are all headed out to arizona state instead.

really, i don't know how they are all coping with this kind of sudden rearrangement of their lives. it's quite admirable in most cases.

Sep 8, 05 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

hey g-love I attended gatech for my undergrad before heading up here. how are things going down there? i am actually taking a few courses outside of arch. and have met a few of the tulane students that are attending Cornell now, its really sad to hear some of the stories they have to tell. Hey SeanNOLA, I will see if I can find any of the Tulane undergrads here and let them know.

Sep 8, 05 10:06 pm  · 
 · 

important announcement in the emergency section for Tulane students...

"We are working on getting contact information on all of our students. Please e-mail me at [email protected] with your name, address, phone #, cell #, e-mail address, emergency contact name and number.

Peggy Messina,Director of Academic Affairs"

Sep 10, 05 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

NOLA what year are you in while at NJIT?

Sep 10, 05 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
arimae

We have several Tulane students coming to Taliesin. We are based in Scottsdale, AZ and Spring Green, WI. Like you, tzenyujuei, I am surprised they would rather come all this way to study, but we are glad to have them.

Sep 10, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

the other strategy that I've heard from some people is that many are going to what they considered their second-choice school when they originally applied to colleges. That way they've already done a lot of the admissions stuff, and already know a lot about the school.

Sep 10, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

that sounds like a logical move rationalist, i wonder if Tulane will be able to get back on its feet in time for the students to complete their degrees in the program which they had originally chosen to study in.

Sep 10, 05 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
kissy_face

I heard that GSD was trying to take on a few, but I haven't heard anything since an email was sent asking people if they had any housing info.

Sep 10, 05 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
jenn

I'm a Tulane student I am currently at U Penn along with about 8 other Masters students. As alot of the Tulane folks are really notheastern transplants, like myself, I think we all decided to stay close to home for a few months.

Sep 10, 05 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

We took on a couple of students at NYIT, haven’t met any of them yet but we welcome them with open arms.

Sep 13, 05 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: