Archinect
anchor

Furniture Design

heatherseto

I just graduated with a diploma in interior but am trying to figure out if more education is needed in order to gain employment.  I'm especially interested in furniture design and was wondering if getting a BA in furniture design is worth the investment?  I've done a lot of research and it makes more sense financially for me to attend programs in Europe as its only 3 years and the ones located in the US are 4 years (I'm from Canada).  I've ruled out industrial design programs due to the product design aspect (designing kitchen tools, and electronics doesn't really interest me).  

I've tried calling furniture designers and firms in Canada, US and Europe for intern possibilities but to no avail, no one is interested.  Any recommendations for a new graduate like myself trying to get into furniture design or interior design?

Here's an example of an origami inspired chair I completed in my third year.  I wanted the chair to appear like a single piece of wood that can be manipulated into other forms.  

Oct 15, 11 1:13 pm
bellasums

Great job! Its really nice chair, i like it. Many colleges and institutes provide courses that not only provide the necessary education but also helps you to get into furniture manufacturing companies to gain an understanding of furniture trends and design aspects. Here are top five universities.

American Inter Continental University

Metropolitan State College of Denver

Rochester Institute of Technology

Western Washington University

Georgia Institute of Technology

I think you can get a job opportunities in many companies belonging to the furniture industry. The educational background is not as important as the job experience in the furniture sector which is generally given lot of weight age.

award winning architects metro detroit | award winning architects bloomfield hills mi

Nov 8, 11 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: