Archinect
anchor

Sony PSP

dia

Interested? Is this the new iPod? Has it been released in the US yet? Is it a kids toy?

Aug 29, 05 1:23 am
nappy

not the new ipod.

Apple does everything right, that's what makes their product uber.

Sony does not have the finesse. Main gripe with PSP...3.5 hour battery life. That is horrible.

Aug 29, 05 3:16 am  · 
 · 
joek

my ipod is uber broken at the moment, as of 15 minutes ago. Stupid Apple doesn't seem too hot for me right now. If I had a PSP I could forget my troubles by playing silly games.

Aug 29, 05 4:36 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what's funny about the psp is that sony designs this kick ass hand-held device and they can't figure out a way to design a kick ass mp3 player?

the psp is cool as shit, great graphics, movies, music, web browsing....it will improve, it can only improve.

Aug 29, 05 5:20 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The thing that will be interesting to see is how long the gaming technology of the PSP remains popular. Gameboy lasted forever. But I'm wondering, will PSP become totally obsolete in 2-3 years? Do the people that buy a PSP expect super high end graphics and gaming more so than the Gameboy generation? With PS3 and XBOX 360 right around the corner, will PSP lose its appeal? Once the gaming technology dies, it will be one big ass MP3 player to carry around. For now, yeah, it's a pretty sweet device.

As far as the MP3 player, what about that little guy that's about 3"x2.5"x.5" with 20GB and 40 hours of battery life? I saw it in Japan and it's available here now. Seemed pretty nice from what I saw.

Aug 29, 05 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
nappy

If the battery life on the psp was over 10 hours per charge, i'd get one for sure.

Aug 29, 05 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

has anyone held a psp? it completely rivals ipods it is a marvelous design object and will surely kick ass at all design awards this year. the psp is a big boys toy, gameboy is strictly kids play. i would rather lug the psp around instead of a laptop or portable dvd player when i travel...and when they figure out how to copy movies on the new format easily, it will kick serious ass....

Aug 29, 05 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

beta, i disagree re: ipod vs. psp design.

both are excellent designs in thier own right. psp required more functionality than ipod, so its design is less minimal. its kinda like comparing the barcelona pavilion to the pompidou...

anyway, i yearn for a psp, and just wish i could justify the expense for something that i won't use much.

Aug 29, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i guess i am just tired of the ubiquity of the ipod design. has it really progressed? what i find fascinating about the psp is its seemingly contradiction of design, its futuristic, forward thinking and yet reminds of a kind of star trek retro theme....plus it feels nice in the hands and the graphics really are stunning...

Aug 29, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

note: apple just made a huge deal with samsung for flash memory. supposedly samsung is devoting something like 40% of their production capacity of flash mem. exclusively to apple...

rumors of a flash based ipod mini are starting. 4-6 gb w/ no moving parts... maybe even battery life an order of magnitude greater... who knows.

Aug 29, 05 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

what about prices???, in one hand u will get an MP3 player, games console, portable dvd, internet browser....... on the other u only have an expensive MP3 player...

Sep 8, 05 3:56 am  · 
 · 
sewage

I find the PSP to be a little too small for my hands - which only hurts them even more after playing for a bit. Other than that, it's pretty cool although I wish I can play American movies on there (I have a Japanese version). I don't worry about the battery life too much since I mostly play it at home anyway.

Sep 8, 05 9:21 am  · 
 · 
sewage

I wouldn't use the PSP as anything but a games console and an occasional movie player. The internet browser is not easy to use (feels like WebTV) and the mp3 player requires you to buy a large memory stick to make it worthwhile.

Sep 8, 05 9:24 am  · 
 · 
SeanNOLA

I just got a PSP at the end of my summer break, and I'm starting to lose my PSP buzz already. There are only about 15 games available for it, and most of them are par for the course. The movies are great and all, but I really wish there was a way I could transfer them to a larger screen (oh please Sony, make a UMD movie player!) and I accidentally bought a game that updated my PSP's firmware, so now I can't download cool homebrew apps like emulators or indy games. And its impossible to keep from smudging the display, and you'll spend 95% of your play time polishing the damn thing. As for battery life, I haven't had a problem with it. I've been playing Metal Gear Acid and Hot Shots Golf, and both of them have very defined stopping points, so that if you are running low, you can stop without really craving more; besides, it only takes an hour to charge. It hurts my thumbs though...I don't know what it is about it, but my thumbs can't take more than a few hours of being held that way...maybe I'll make a case mod to put my PSP inside of an Gameboy SP....hmmmm....

FINAL VERDICT - C+ (B, maybe B+ after they wow me with holiday season games)

Sep 8, 05 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I doubt you could put a PSP movie to the big screen. I bet the resolusion is way too low for TV. Imagine taking a 3.5 inch JPEG and blowing it up to 24 inch diagonal. That's how you can fit so much info on such a small disk.

Sep 8, 05 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Maybe I will succumb to apple and get a nano instead. If the psp came with a decent sized HD, say at least 5gb, then that might have swung me. The animation in the tv ad's are cool.

Sep 8, 05 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
DEVicox

the beauty of the PSP is in the possibilities. If you did not upgrade to the recent updates, you can run shareware applications, any pc game, any pc application within reason, etc. Obviously this doesn't compare with the ipod, because Apple is very restrictive with the use of its products (itunes, and the proprietary audio format). But, the ipod has an entirely different function. Get PSP not for the games. Get it for its potential uses. (i've seen windows, linux run off of it).

Sep 9, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

my only complaint with the psp is when i am playing "ape escape" i have to hold it high in my left hand so my thumb can reach the directional controller. after about 10 hours of catching apes my left hand is totally cramped and useless for much more interesting activities.

deesign-wise, it is pretty beautiful, but a bit heavy and a bit too shiny for my taste. i still love it though...for now.

Sep 9, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek
Apple does everything right, that's what makes their product uber.

Not Exactly....

I doubt you could put a PSP movie to the big screen. I bet the resolusion is way too low for TV. Imagine taking a 3.5 inch JPEG and blowing it up to 24 inch diagonal. That's how you can fit so much info on such a small disk.

Not necessarily the UMD's supposedly contain 2-3 gb of data it's possible that they encoded movies in that format to the psp's native resolution. But the divx movies you can view on your psp can be blown up without much pixelization as their usually at a high res.
I would have prefered something that tried a little harder to be universal rather than proprietary (but this is sony) perhaps more of a PMP than just a playstation. As for next ipod? I think sony has made it too hard for people to do what they actually want with the psp, which is to load their own games/movies/etc. rather than having to hack sony's os to do it. If they release a device with a more open standard then they might have a real ipod like revolution. I do think the psp will stick around though, just not at the insane numbers some predicted before it came out.

Sep 9, 05 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: