Archinect
anchor

learning autocad in my spare time

badass japanese cookie

any recommendations for learning autocad in one's spare time in new york? i'm thinking of somewhere like a city college or a continuing extension program at a university. any tips would be apprecaited.

and please spare me the wise cracks

thanks!

Aug 26, 05 3:21 pm

If you already are familiar with a CAD package, pick up a book and do it on your own. Once you get the hang of how the program works you'll be able to figure the majority of things out, and you'll save a ton of money.

Aug 26, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

cool- thanks pixelwhore

Aug 26, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
badass japanese cookie

cool- thanks pixelwhore

Aug 26, 05 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
archigo

I think you can do it yourself. Play with the software, try every tool and see what it does. Then, set yourself to draw something (your house, some design, etc)

Aug 26, 05 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
ap

you basically draw everything with just a few text commands:

pl = polyline
tr = trim (shift click for extend)
m = move
co = copy
o = offset
c = circle
spl = spline

press the spacebar after each commmanc to use it. And in general spacebar to confirm stuff.

most of the tools have extra options inside to chose from.

The most easy way to learn it is sitting next to someone using it.

Aug 27, 05 5:51 am  · 
 · 
long_div

FIT! very cheap and im in it right now.

Apr 10, 07 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

AutoCAD is rigid.

Apr 10, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I must point out here that there is a difference between people who say they know a program (ie: they can use it) and people who actually know something. If you're going to teach yourself, make sure you understand why things work the way they do. Get beyond the point of just being able to do something, or you could become the next exploding hatch girl/guy!

Apr 10, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

No I didn't say Rivit --- well you guy's proberly know better than me what I said ,I said Rigid .

Apr 10, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

)I alway's loved AutoCAD for it's Lisp evaluator.

Apr 10, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

do you like DOSlib ?
http://www.en.na.mcneel.com/doslib.htm

Apr 10, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like the undo button.

Apr 10, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I like it is free , and I guess several of the functions would be handy. But most I think is already there by Lisp. But I guess there newer can be enough of these, still writing and reading files is already there with standard functions in Lisp . Getvar yield most .
I agrea that I havn't tried to install it but from what it promise, I already have that , but maybe that application do things more smooth

Apr 10, 07 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

AutoCAD is frigid.

Apr 10, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

AUTOCAD IS OUT-DATED...IF YOU DONT KNOW ANY DRAFTING PROGRAMS AND WISH TO LEARN ONE - LEARN REVIT...ITS THE FUTURE
-SO ARE LISP ROUTINES...LETS GO PEEPS STEP INTO THE YEAR 2007

Apr 10, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

AFTER LEARNING REVIT A LIL WHILE BACK I WANTED TO TAKE MY LICENSE OF AUTOCAD OUT TO THE PASTURE...BUT UNFORTUNATLY I CANT CAUSE I HAVE 3 PROJECT IN AUTOCAD IN THE MIDDLE OF CD'S - IN ABOUT 1-1/2YRS I WILL NEVER HAVE TO USE AUTOCAD AGAIN...THANK THE LORD. HALAUHA!!!

Apr 10, 07 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

AutoCAD is rigid untill you assembled a number of functions to automate trivial matter. Rivit ? --- well "make your own !"

Apr 10, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Oh sorry --- it's not that I don't know how to spell Revit , it's just that every time I hear the name , the name *Point* turn up in my mind. Guess that's where I got the wrong placed "I".

Apr 10, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i know people who got revit for free when they bought autocad
and the people i know who use revit they all still use other cad software for stuff revit can't do for them.

Apr 10, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I think it is important not to be restricted to the functions that the application develober allowed . With AutoCAD that is not a problem as you can alway's add your own functions you can even add a graphic interface quite easy and make it look as something you bought, and I guess most applications that profit from the AutoCAD platform in fact only do what already was there with AutoCAD.
I don't think anyone can prove me wrong.

Apr 10, 07 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Jonas77 , I am strictly talking about architectural applications ; ofcaurse there are many other programs that is very efficient , work smoother , offer better visual handles , collect tools in a more natural line but, if there are a problem you must solve and that problem requier just a bit math. if it involve repetative tasks and can be "spoken" , described logic , then there are nothing better than a program with several levels such as AutoCAD. With such huge programs though, it is alway's a danger that to many features slow down the processing , but I rather have a program that allow me to use the keyboard and allow me to load applications , but I guess that is about taste, hopefully not about age.

Apr 10, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Jonas77 - I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT AUTOCAD CAN DO THAT REVIT CANT...OUR FIRM HAS GONE THROUGH AN ENTIRE SET OF CONSTRUCTION DOC - AND WE HAVENT HIT ANY WALLS YET...BUT I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WALLS YOU HAVE HIT IN REVIT.

-ONE THING IVE NOTICED W/ PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW HOW TO USE REVIT IS THAT THEY THINK REVIT WORKS LIKE AUTOCAD...THE ONLY THING THAT THEY DO THE SAME IS THAT THEY CREATE DRAWINGS. THEY ALSO THINK THAT YOU CANNOT DRAW IN 2D IN WHICH THEY WOULD BE WRONG - THEY ALSO DONT KNOW HOW TO DRAFT THE LIL DETAILS OF THE BUILDING
-I GUESS WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT REVIT CAN DO ANYTHING THAT AUTOCAD CAN DO ...ONLY FASTER AND EASIER
...UNLESS YOU KNOW BOTH POGRAMS IN AND OUT THEN I DONT THINK YOU COULD SAY MUCH EXCEPT THAT I DONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT.

Apr 11, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I THINK THAT THE ABSOLUTE BEST FEATURE OF REVIT IS SCHEDULING - ANYONE? SOMETHING...NORMAN!

Apr 11, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

no absolutes. how about some relativity and choice

you pointed it out well people want to use revit in a way they are used to that is what I've seen, people want choices and when you are only given 1 it kinda is a WALL ;)

Apr 11, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

anyways take a class on revit...cause it IS the future - at least B.I.M. IS.

-and then come back to this thread and well see what u have to say about "1 choice"

Apr 11, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

who are you to assume I havn't? I've taken classes on Revit ADT Archicad Vectorworks and Microstation
and I know Pro-E Solidworks SolidEdge, Mechdesktop

have fun, but stop making up facts with people who are tried tested learned and disagree with you, please. and chill with the yelling too.

Apr 11, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

...oh as far as a new B.I.M. in the works, Athens.. look that up, looks simple and promising for the people who want to cut down on the kind work that type of solution does.

I still might prefer B.Y.O.I. as the out of the box solution, of course depending on the job size and the ease of witch I can make/mod my own blocks away from set program standard ones.

Apr 11, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I SAID YOU HAVEN'T USED THE PROGRAM B/C U SAID...

-"I KNOW PEOPLE who got revit for free when they bought autocad
and the PEOPLE I KNOW WHO USE REVIT all still use other cad software for stuff revit can't do for THEM."

AND

"PEOPLE want to use revit in a way THEY are used to that is what I'VE SEEN, PEOPLE want choices and when you are only given 1 it kinda is a WALL ;)"

im not trying to be a duesh but the way your talking to us, your coming off as if youve only seen others use the program and not actually used it yourself.

Apr 11, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

looks like i left out the words 'the time'. that does mean anything about me not using it.

looks like i was in a rush . but ya it's all a matter of preference all the tools will do a end goal similar it's just a matter of choice and choice in the ones that play well with others is one makes all of sense

Apr 11, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
sheri25

I HATE CAD, y cant we just draw by hand

Apr 11, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
runawaygirl

drawing by hand always seems best to me.but i started learning autocad sometime back and it really is faster!and easier to do any editions whereas while hand drafting you've to do it all over again.

revit,i feel is somewhat restricting because its mainly about choices there,but then i never went to any classes and what i know is by learning it myself.

Apr 12, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 
runawaygirl

sketchup anyone?for quick models....i hear its neat.?

Apr 12, 07 1:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: