ARCHITECTURAL movies

veuxdeux

the aeon flux trailer appears to have some nice architectural features

http://www.aeonflux.com/

Sep 5, 05 2:45 am  · 
 · 
upside

Has anyone mentioned Metropolis? If they have ignore this

Fantastic futurist city and the inspiration for some of the sets in blade runner I think.

There is a great scene where the machines in the factories seem to be operating the people, while the workers desperately try to keep up, metaphorical I guess but a very well shot and designed sequence.

The scale of the city is overwhelming.

John carpenters first movie as a film student, I can’t remember the name, it was about 4 astronauts slowly going insane in a tiny spaceship, no budget (the alien monster that attacks them was obviously a painted beach ball, you could even see the valve) but it had to be the most effectively claustrophobic movie apart from cube.

Sep 5, 05 6:00 am  · 
 · 
qunqing

nobody mentioned "the grudge"? the fear of a house

Sep 5, 05 10:38 am  · 
 · 
a-f

Speaking of japanese horror, why not Hideo Nakata's "Dark Water"? The fear of bad plumbing.

Sep 5, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Tectonic

MICHAELANGELO ANTONIONI

Sep 5, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
tagalong

CITY OF GOD.

Sep 5, 05 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
jonchitect

"Layer Cake" it was just assigned as homework...what a drag. from the architectural dir. of photography to the social/economic layering it illustrates...also it's a cool english gangster flick

Sep 5, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i just wanted to second me and you and everyone we know...
also,
waking life.
fellini's 8 1/2.
and any film by werner herzog.
i wouldn't really consider these architectural but i think they are beautiful, and worthy of conversation.

and, are the cremaster films available on DVD? i keep hearing this rumor, but think people are just confused with that one segment of cremaster 3, THE ORDER that is pretty easy to get your hands on (via netflix)...
and, has anyone seen drawing restraint 9? it's only been shown in japan right? i've got the soundtrack and know the synopsis, which has produced images in my mind that are driving me crazy.

Sep 6, 05 2:11 am  · 
 · 
lennon

hudsucker proxy

Sep 8, 05 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
BonesJones

New to the Site
I have done a paper on specifically Pierre Koenig's Case Study House #22 in the Hollywood Hills. First Power, Where the Truth Lies, Nurse Betty, Galaxy Quest, and the movie with Jon Stewart Gilliam Anderson, and numerous advertisments.
John Latner has a FILM of his architecture, title escapes me. As well as his filmed houses in Lethal Weapon, Charlie's Angels, and Daimonds are Forever.
Hope this gets you started on "filmed" architecture as set design.

Oct 25, 06 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

i second Antonioni's L'Eclisse.

Hans Poelzig designed the sets for Paul Wegener's Der Golem

Oct 25, 06 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
kablakistan

I was just encouraged to watch Snake Pit, 1940s discussion of the environment's role in insanity. I enjoyed it.

Oct 25, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

"The Fountain head" by Ayn Rand, it's not as dated as you may think.

Oct 26, 06 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
sgs23

Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead"

Oct 26, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
ooid

i believe greg lynn has a credit on "swordfish".. from what I heard, he just designed that panaromic bomb scene..

ballsss...long live maya!! :p

Oct 27, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

Is anyone aware that there are now 2no. sitcoms that are centred around the lives of architects? The first being Life with Jim, featuring John Bilushi, the other is How I met your Mother, which recently revealed that the bumbling lead is actually just a paranoid architect like us.

Oct 28, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

this thread shows that architects are suckers for movies where the setting (aka the set) is an important charecter. But then there are very few movies where the location/set doesn't play a role... Only directors coming out of theatre like Elia Kazan focus more on the people.

So far nobody has mentioned my favorite movie for the scenery:

Barbarella

LB, the word you were looking for to discribe delicatessin is *dystopic*. Architects love dystopic movies, as most of the films shown in the arch-school film series are all dystopic visions of the future.

BoneJones, welcome to archinect.... there is a book about how NYC is represented in the movies (celluiloid skyline by James Sanders), but the LA connection is too obvious for any author to take the time to track down all the urban and architectural representations of the city of angeles. (also for the cinematicly obsessed urbanists - The Cinematic City, edited by David Clarke)

I've been avoiding this thread for sooooo long, but *wow* it's been very cathartic to get this subject off my chest.

Oct 29, 06 11:38 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
Oct 29, 06 11:40 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

this makes my sunday morning!

Oct 29, 06 11:42 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

hello my pretty pretty!

and remember 'an angle is love'? doot dadoo dadoot doot....

Oct 29, 06 11:49 am  · 
 · 
DFletcher

Did a film series in grad school
Film + Architecture

FALL
Theme: the derive…
can dialectics break bricks? (intro’d. by Marg. Crawford)
cremaster 3 & russian arc
the wind will carry us
sans soleil
george Washington
baraka
the cruise (intro’d by speed l.) & the architecture of reassurance

SPRING
Theme: Atmospheres
pepe le moko
kanal
brazil
nostalgia
dogville
in the mood for love

Oct 29, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: