Archinect
anchor

does anyone else sorta like what they're doing?

A Center for Ants?

cause i do.

i don't get paid very much. but i enjoy my job. i work hard and put in the hours. my PMs treat me with respect for the most part. i'm getting ready to apply to M.archs. i find time to surf still, have enough money left over to have fun, eat good food, meet friends, do some minor travelling. sure working late sucks and i wish i had more money, but is life really that bad?

anyone else think life in architecture is at least decent if not pretty good? or am i overly optimistic and soon-to-be jaded?

Aug 18, 05 5:45 pm
swisscardlite

yay!

Aug 18, 05 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'm doing pretty good right now. I hope to have a better job someday, but for my experience level, and knowing what else is out there, I've got it pretty good. My boss is a bit intimidating sometimes, but my ideas get heard and the projects aren't bad, and *gasp* I even get paid well for it.

Aug 18, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i've always been an "i actually like my job!" cheerleader.

Aug 18, 05 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

I can truly say I love my job

The big guy (founder of the firm)is known, cover of metropolis, but not so much so, that he is a supahstar. He is incredibely nice. The PM's are so relaxed and cool, that it sometime bothers me.
The projects are fun and SUSTAINABLE, we sit around bitching about the city governemtn where we live or talking about design.

No one bugs me, very supportive (I am applying to MArch's too).

The pay is three times then the last job I had in FL.

I am enjoying life....

Aug 18, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

do you all work in architecture?

Aug 18, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

yes.

Aug 18, 05 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
inkwray

i'm compensated well for what i do.

Aug 18, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

Love it!

Aug 18, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

I like what I do even though I'm in charge of taking out the trash every week and changing burnt out light bulbs. Ok, I volunteered to do the trash thing as it bothered me to see our female receptionist doing it. My momma always told me, "Taking out the trash is a man's job"

Aug 18, 05 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i'm not sure. what am i doing?

Aug 18, 05 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Loafeto

I can honestly say that every day is an emmense learning experience. I am on the correct path for the career I planned. Plus I can still afford to live a block from the Pacific Ocean.

San Diego aka......A whale's vagina........a great place to B

Aug 18, 05 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
lizok

yay!

i love what i do! i am still inexperienced enough that i actually believe that i have endless potential to do things, and still stupid enough to go get drunk on spanish white wine every other day with my lovely friends.

Yay for archi summers!

Aug 18, 05 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP

uh, that last post may have been unduly influenced by said spanish white wine...

anywho, I love my job, most days. The sole project that our office is working on (4 people, one huge resort network/development) is very interesting considering the usually mundane nature of the resort/tourism typology. Compensation is spottieottiedopalicious.

my interview was conducted at a bar over half a dozen beers...

Aug 18, 05 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I have to tell you guys this, because no one else will appreciate it....

Last Thursday I had a meeting out at a job site, a renovation. I'm still just a wee intern so I haven't done too many meetings myself. This was a construction meeting, I mean the GC had questions, the HVAC guy had all sorts of issues, the electrician wanted this and that and the plumber was just hanging out. Then the client showed up and had questions too. By the end of the meeting I was leading them around the construction site in a little train behind me answering them and saying, "you got more? Come on, let's hear it". A scrappy little blond girl telling a contractor what he can do with his spiral duct. Literally.

So yeah, I like my job.

Aug 18, 05 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

I appreciate, sounds like solid experience. I had a "value engineering" meeting with my p.m. at the GC's office. The goal was to cut 2 million out of the building. It lasted all day, we got half way there, and the client is refusing to reduce s.f. But it's still great. I'm enjoying myself and I truly mean that.

Aug 18, 05 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I'd probably do a lot of this for a lot less. But I'm really happy when I can do the job 70%+ my way & get the client to pay more than he wanted to...& still have a smile on his face.

Aug 20, 05 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thank you sir. may i have another?

Aug 20, 05 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

i do love my job, seriously. because i'm doin something (architecture) i love. it's fun.

Aug 20, 05 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i quit a 150 person office 2 1/2 months ago.
i'm now working on my own associated with two other guys so we can pool our labor and making 50% more.

just spent the day clearing out the garage & designing a sweet 165 sf office space in there. working out a bill of materials this evening and borrowing a pickup truck tomorrow to go shopping.

the best part is feeling engaged in what i'm doing because it's MINE and the client we're currently working with is incredibly sophisticated in terms of construction.

the last two years were excruciating, working within a system that is designed to prevent ownership unless you want to brown nose.

hell yeah i'm having fun!

Aug 20, 05 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

That's what I'm talkin about.

Aug 20, 05 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
funga

i kind of like what i am doing , until i receive my paycheck, those days i think why i didnt study something else......

Aug 20, 05 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

el jeffe representing the Q.

Aug 20, 05 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

BURQUE

Aug 22, 05 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i call it albucrackee masself...

Aug 22, 05 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Hey I represent the q, im actually going there tomorrow....

Aug 22, 05 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

rite on q

Aug 22, 05 8:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: