Archinect
anchor

Medieval Practice

Medieval Master

I am contemplating in developing a Medieval Design Build Practice. Which is where the firm builds what it designs. Each member of the practice would have skills in architecture and engineering with trade a craft.  For instance Architect - Carpenter, Architect - Stone mason, Architect - Plasterer and etc. This  would be a guild / cooperative arrangement. The projects would be of the highest quality focusing on small to midsize projects. The team of players would be a risk to deliver what they design and build. The guild house would pay for a living stipend and profits would be paid out on a project basis.

Does this approach interest any of you? What do you see as the pluses or minuses of such an organization.

Oct 9, 11 7:23 am
rutger

I don't have any answers to your questions. However, I do have an inspiring link.

Contemporary medieval architecture in its purest form:

El loco de la Catedral

Oct 9, 11 9:05 am  · 
 · 
citizen

An interesting vision frought with political and other challenges.  First, apparently, there's a Master, and he's already been chosen (presumably he, otherwise it'd be Mistress).  Second, public relations and branding: "Medieval" has positive, romantic assocations for some, but negative, steely ones for others.

As for the many economic challenges facing such an idealistic enterprise: you've probably thought of them yourself.  The one way to circumvent (at least some of) these would be to enlist the already-wealthy to the cadre.  Then, success of the design-build venture itself isn't completely at the mercy of that deadly mix of market forces, regulatory obstacles, and client (in)decisions.

Oct 9, 11 11:50 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

good afternoon, medieval design-build where we get medieval on

your ass, how may i help you?

Oct 9, 11 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Medieval Practice

1 King, Lord, Baron or other titled figure.
1 Master Builder (architect)
a few hundred or thousand laborers (serfs and peasants)

This is a fairly accurate description of today's high-end residential construction process.

Oct 9, 11 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: