Archinect
anchor

Gap Year - Making buildings?

siggers

Hi all,

I'll be brief, as my question is not too specific; does anyone know of any gap year-type programs out there where you travel abroad (say to africa or south america) to assist in building programs (I'm imaging housing for the poor or perhaps assisting construction of larger buildings in villages.

I really have little idea what's out there, I'd appreciate any advice/thoughts. I think it would be great to get my hands dirty and potentially do something useful and rewarding.

Cheers,

sig

Aug 14, 05 8:41 am
siggers

that would be a big

NIO

then

:p

Aug 15, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I'm not entirely sure what "gap year" means, but the University of Washington does (did?) have a program where you went to Mexico for a quarter and did a design build, working with the local squatter community to build a public building. The year I went we built a school, the previous years built a holistic healing/medical clinic and a library I believe.

If you are interested in going to do work in one of the areas you mentioned in the middle of your graduate school why not the year before or the year after school? why does it need to be in the middle?

Aug 15, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

thanks pencrush, I might look into that. I take it that this was a good experience for you?

I am taking a break between grad and post-grad here in the uk. I am too stressed after 5 years!

Aug 15, 05 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

Yeah, it was a pretty great experience for me... you can see some details of the project at the website they had up when I was there. The website is about 5(!!) years old now, so the "new" stuff isn't really so new anymore. You can see construction photos, and some of the plans and stuff on there... it was pretty awesome.

Aug 15, 05 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
the cellardoor whore

and there is no housing for the poor in the uk?
oh yes, council flat housing, not too hands-on at all?

and so the truth is to be, physically, unearthed somewhere in the
' tierre monde' . like that exorcist trinket. samaritan without borders

dammit, the poor are waiting

yours in brioche

marie a.

Aug 15, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
pencrush

I have no idea what you just said.

Aug 15, 05 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

signum you should email Cameron, he'd put you to work. Hope you know Farsi.

Aug 16, 05 12:57 am  · 
 · 
ieyaseu

Set up a project on your own.

Some of classmates did when i was up in edinburgh, instead of taking the traditional year out for work, they went to slovakia and built a centre for Romany gypsies. Did all the research and funding themsleves. Involved alot of effort and alot of research.

http://webdbdev.ucs.ed.ac.uk/ddm/2004/pgalum/PageV.cfm?activetable=minto&AnyID=61

I spent my gap year doing a Raleigh international expedition in Chile which wasnt totally dedicated to buildings but had me spending three weeks on the construction of a small classroom and digging footpaths in some of the most stunning scenery ive seen.

I think "I to I" may do pure building projects though im not sure. A friend spent three months with I to I in Honduras building huts.

Also did a bit of survey work in a little indian village where they might be doing some building work. (but you interest states south america)

Theres always VSO

My year out was fantastic, but be careful i spent the past year in diploma trying to rememeber how to draw again.

Aug 16, 05 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: