Archinect
anchor

Associate in Applied Science in Architectural Technology

DDWLDLF

This is the degree I'm going for in Phoenix AZ. I know I want to land in the architecture profession, against the advice from many, including my college adviser. I thought about getting my credits here at community college, then trying to get accepted into ASU's program but it is highly competitive. So my thoughts are to get an AA, learn, study, develop a skill set, then try it out at an entry level position somewhere. Will the AA land me anything higher than entry level?

From there, hopefully I will have material for my portfolio in hopes that it will help me get accepted at ASU or UofA's heavily competitive arch. programs for my BA.

Any thoughts of opinions, please chime in. Is the AA a waste of time? I'm learning CAD and Revit, it is quite amazing and the Professors and Doctors here are very knowledgeable and have actually owned successful firms in the past.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of guidance. Thanks.

Oct 7, 11 3:13 pm
metal

You should do the Associates degree, then go right into the BA, dont waste time working, by the time your thru with the AA, you will have either changed majors or have some conviction about staying with architecture.

Oct 7, 11 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I agree with FTB if you want to work try and get a internship in the summer doing some drafting revit. I would think by the time you finish your AA and so long as you receive good grades( 3.2 and up you will be fine) you should be able to land yourself into the B.arch/ B.A program just work on your artistic abilities during this time so you will be able to put together a good portfolio for application.

Oct 7, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

many community colleges actually have direct articulation agreements with schools you may want to consider looking into as well just a thought.

Oct 7, 11 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
DDWLDLF

Thanks for the advice + FTB & Shimm // I appreciate it. I feel better about pursuing this degree. An AAS in Arch Tech feels right to me, at least to start. I am enjoying learning CAD and Revit. The work makes me think hard and I need that. I was a musician first and since my records don't sell like they used to and I can't seem to get committed band mates to perform and hit the road, I'm focusing on the next best thing.

I looked into direct paths with my school... They do have this, but not into arch. Just business and nursing and other stuff.

Oct 11, 11 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: