Archinect
anchor

Fake glasses for job interview

lilbuddy

So here's the deal. I've got 20/20 vision, but glasses make me look older, smarter, more professional, and more artsy. I've always believed in dressing the part for job interviews. For example, I wore a suit with elbow patches when applying to a bookstore. it worked. The idea of wearing fake glasses to an interview makes me feel a little funny...is it morally reprehensible? What happens when I get the job and stop wearing the glasses? Should I want to work somewhere that wouldn't want me without the glasses?

Any one have any opinions? Done this before? Know where I can score some nice new frames?

Aug 9, 05 1:51 pm
Ddot

good lord.

that is among the shallowest comments I've seen on archinect. and that's saying something.

it's not reprehensible, but it is stupid.

Aug 9, 05 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
lilbuddy

Unfortunately the world IS shallow, and job interviews are one of the places we really ARE judged based on silly things like looks. Sorry.

Aug 9, 05 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

You want to be relaxed in the interview.

If you think you look better in them and will not be self-concious, then wear them. If you think you'll spend the whole interview fiddling with the glasses, adjusting them on your nose, wondering to yourself if the interviewer likes them and not being able to focus on the things they are asking you because all you can think about is the damn glasses - then don't.

Aug 9, 05 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

tell them, it is important for you to wash your hands after visiting the bath room and save yourself some eyeglass cash.
that said, i don't think the idea is shallow considering the vanity fair we all live in.

Aug 9, 05 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
soleil

2 reasons for you to wear glasses to your interview:

peter parker
clark kent

Aug 9, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, you could get a fake hearing aid also, so when you daze off and miss a question, you can just say, "huh?" (hand cupped at ear)

Aug 9, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

I'm with Ddot on how absolutely retarded this is.
I think you belong in advertising, not architecture.
That being said, if you do it and get hired it will definitely make a good story a few months in on a friday at around Beer:30.

Aug 9, 05 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
ether
fancy frames here
Aug 9, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

I wear my glasses that I normally only use for a long day of computer work and do not need for an interview unless they cad test, to all interviews because I think they make me look older. I think it's excessive to go out and buy a pair for this, but if you've got them already, then whatever. But they may think your a touch wierd when/if they find out.

Aug 9, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
norm

stupid. just f'n stupid.

Aug 9, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
paris

sure, be dishonest from the get go, that always help!

Aug 9, 05 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

LOL paris

Aug 9, 05 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

isn't it kinda easy to spot non-corrective lenses...i mean they're flat and reflect as such?
if i were interviewing you and noticed the flatness i'd be obsessing about whether they're fake or not the entire time...sounds fun!

Aug 9, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
lilbuddy

My thought is that certain dress objects and styles (like building materials/styles) have subtle connotations that we pick up on whether we're aware of them or not. While logically I know that glasses don't make someone smarter/more serious, i think that many people do perhaps make this judgment on some level.

Really I guess this gets down to some deeper issues about changing your appearance based on what other people want/society expects. Is wearing glasses when you don't need them really that different from dying your hair a different color? Is the moral difference whether you're doing it because you think you look better that way or whether you think others think you do?

Aug 9, 05 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

PLEASE PLEASE DO IT....

Bring a martini and a bow tie... If the interview is not going well, pour the martini onto your pants and point it out everyone in the room... then run around in circles with your arms flailing above your head screaming 'look at me, I'm an architectural stereotype - weeee'

take photos then leave.

please post.

Aug 9, 05 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
lilbuddy

I was already planning on the bow tie, martini and hearing aid. Duh.

Aug 9, 05 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

it'd be like interviewing max fischer.

Aug 9, 05 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Ddot

nice, cameron.

Aug 9, 05 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

if j doesn't admit that he's having us on, all of us glasses-wearing types should hunt him down and hang him by his small toes.

Aug 9, 05 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
mm

Cameron, are you feeling okay? I don't think I've ever read such a sarcastic post from you.

Aug 9, 05 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
somer

here's to that, Steven.
to the weak and nerdy--revolt.

Aug 9, 05 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i think you should wear glasses, but take out the lenses

Aug 9, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

lilbuddy, from judging from your screenname, a pair of socks down the pants may also help in the interview

Aug 9, 05 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

This thread is awesome.

Get the glasses. Get them! Who doesn't love good frames? Besides it's fun to play dress up. Even though I, um, would NEVER do that.

I am still laughing from Cameron's post. It's that sort of silent, forced restraint laughter that causes your diaphragm to contract and gives you chest pains the next day. Ow.

Aug 9, 05 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

mdler, between this thread and the movie environments one you are cracking me up!

j, take back that comment about people in glasses being nerdy or I'll simultaneously yank mine off while letting down my hair and reveal the stunning babe that hides under my bookish appearance - you'll be rendered helpless.

And the guys that wear glasses will do the same.

Aug 9, 05 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

post some pics with and without glasses please. i cannot make a proper determination.

Aug 9, 05 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
lilbuddy

I've totally thought about the sock in the jock thing, mdler. I've found that most people subliminally think that a girl with a big bulge in the pants adds to the work environment. Pics to come.

Aug 9, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LOL

Aug 9, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

haaaaahaahaahaaaaaa ohmigod that's funny lilbuddy!

Aug 9, 05 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
pasha

hehehe.. this is funny..

maybe you should try to grow a beard instead?

Aug 9, 05 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

And here's me, wishing I could get rid of my glasses (but they don't make soft contacts that will correct my vision problems). People *obviously* think I'm a rocket scientist, my lenses are so thick...

Why anyone would want to wear glasses when they don't have to is simply beyond me. Welcome to my smudge-filled world.

Aug 9, 05 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
e

lilbuddy, forget the glasses and go get some implants.

Aug 9, 05 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

can't resist - true story, a friend and i got smashed on cheap vodka one night in prague, we put socks in our pants and went to a dive bar - we were the only females, and the only tourists there. boy did we get weird looks. there was a guy or two that came and sat next to us but one glance down at our pants, he bolted. so we stayed out all night and walked home and didn't have to worry about anyone trying to get with us, they wouldn't come near us! ladies take note!

Aug 9, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek
I've found that most people subliminally think that a girl with a big bulge in the pants adds to the work environment.

Aug 9, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

how about sunglasses

they'll either think you're blind or just very, very cool

Aug 9, 05 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Especially at night (see worst rock song ever!! thread)

Aug 9, 05 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
paper tiger

get a tit job, it worked wonders for me.
and trust me, the last thing we need in this worldis another yuppiefockblackpantsblackshirtsblackeyeglasseswearing artsyshit architect. it's like an ant farm in architecture offices and art exhibits....
just be yourself. but wear clothes....unless you have fake tits, or a big dick....

Aug 9, 05 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

you're hired!

Aug 9, 05 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
paper tiger

sadly enough, he looks like so many of today's architects.

Aug 9, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

if your portfolio sucks then try it...if your portfolio is good then you do not need to play the 'image' game.

Aug 9, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

I'm a firm believer in the less you dress up the better your work probably is. (or the less you care about others opinions) It always seemed that in school the kids wearing 3 piece suits or f@ck me boots and slutwear usually were compensating for a lack of talent/work. Of course there's probably a line that can't be crossed in that theory....

Aug 9, 05 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
OlDirtyArchitect

do it, in fact, you should do what george did on seinfield. Fake a disability and then tell them you're all sensitive to americans with disabilities and thusly you are fascinated by that type of architecture. Maybe they'll even get you a scooter!

Aug 9, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
Aug 9, 05 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
e

i'm a firm believer in the fact that your work should speak for itself. glasses or no glasses.

Aug 9, 05 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

someone's work and working with someone are entirely different.

Aug 9, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek

j - So we should take this guy seriously?

Aug 9, 05 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
fakeid

is that a monkey or is it corbusier?

Aug 9, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
mintcar

HOT!!

Aug 9, 05 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
mwad
Aug 9, 05 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
architecturegeek
Aug 9, 05 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: