Archinect
anchor

Preparing to return to work

LEDO

I'm updating myself in preparation to return to the Architectural industry.  I have been out of the industry for approximately 9 years.  I have a Bach of Interior Architecture and some experience as an arch. technician.  I was wondering if anybody has any advice on what skills/abilities firms are looking for in a potential employee.

Oct 6, 11 10:36 am
Purpurina

Start with reading job posts for its requirements. Try to catch up with the newer software is a best bet. Revit, as well brush your cad workflow for a daily production if you are looking for a c.d. position. 

Oct 6, 11 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

LEDO, you must be aware that architectural industry has one of the highest unemployment rates, right? A decade out of the profession makes you less desirable than a mountain of unemployed architects who have much more recent experience under their belts.

You have SOME options here. Can you reconnect with some of your previous employers/coworkers? Networking in this industry is probably the biggest skill you'll need. If not, can you go back to school for a year? No longer than that. If you can sell yourself as a recent grad, then the employment gap could be overlooked.

All the best!

Oct 6, 11 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
LEDO

Thank you Purpina and rusty.  I have touched bases with my former employer and realize that next year will not be the "ideal" time to get back into the industry.  I'm working on my Green Associates, and moving towards learning Revit.  I am getting concerned about putting together a portfolio...What format is used these days?  I have some digital images, but will have to scan in photos.  I'm also hoping for an entire world economic miracle!

Oct 7, 11 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

I'm also hoping for an entire world economic miracle!

aren't we all.............

Oct 8, 11 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

1. Look at issuu.com to see what is expected. Now you must be very proficient with Revit.
2. go to RevitKid.com he has the best tutorials. Next create projects to build up your portfolio.
3. Also, you must be proficient with Sketchup.

LEDO
Employers now are increasingly serious about recent experience) I don't want to discourage you but when a firm gets an inbox with 300 resumes for one position - ask yourself Who would you pick? This is were it is imperative to have a competitive portfolio. Don't kid yourself, it may take you a year or 2 . I was laid off from SOM in 2008, and had to redo all of my thesis work, and upgrade my portfolio - it took 12 months to get just a temp job , and then 3 more temp jobs before I landed my current position for less pay(long term unemployment brings down your value)(I have had for 16months) It's a totally new ball game out there, and you must really be willing to push yourself hard until you win.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/06/news/economy/unemployed_income/index.htm?iid=Lead

Oct 8, 11 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
outthere

I hope you really love architecture ...It's the only way that you will survive right now ...I've done pretty well for myself over the past couple of years (considering the horror stories I hear such as the one above) ..Ive been laid off once for 4 months ..and almost laid off another time before finding another job.

Things have been getting better ...and by that I mean they are no longer getting worse ..there are some firms who are getting by pretty well and others that are struggling to hold on

On a brighter note certain sectors are doing better than others ...I would look into firms that are doing work with the school construction authority ..If this "American Jobs Act" passes you will see a very large hiring spree in this sector in the next 6 months or so..

Good luck ..Stay positive ..and be resilient

Oct 9, 11 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
mhea09

always be updated with latest trends...read their requirements and always stay optimistic!!!goodluck!!i myself is looking for a new job!

Oct 11, 11 6:04 am  · 
 · 
LEDO

Thank you for the websites and information.  I have some good support and am pretty flexible on a few different levels, so I am optimistic that it will all work out....eventually.  I look forward to gleaming information from this site.

Oct 11, 11 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: