Archinect
anchor

Is there any way to get equivalent qualification of M.Arch 1 after completing M.Arch 2? - About qualification to acquire Architect Licesne in USA.

Brandon Ji

Hello.

Now, I am preparing the application to M.Arch 1 or M.Arch 2 programs in Fall, 2012 season.

I graduated from a school which provide RIBA(Royal Institute of British Architects) Part 1 and Part 2 qualification, and acquired both qualification in 5-year architecture program. But, I want to study further in USA and work with Architect License in USA, and therefore, want to apply to M.Arch 2 program.

But, in the application process, I came to realize that any M.Arch 2 program is not accredited to NAAB board, and therefore, cannot get permission to apply license test. So, as far as I know, I need to apply M.Arch 1 program and complete courses to get qualification to apply the test. However, applying to M.Arch 1 program and taking elementary courses again is waste of my money and time, also.

So, I ask if any of you know how to get qualification to apply to the license test after completing the M.Arch 2 program, which is not accredited by NAAB.

Your comments would be big help to me.

Thank you.

Oct 6, 11 2:31 am
littlefred

The most efficient path to licensure for an individual in your situation is to apply for an EESA-NAAB evaluation of your coursework to date. The evaluation seems rather expensive at $1760, but when compared with the cost of a semester at any college or university offering a professional M.Arch program, it's a good value. Within a couple of months, you will be provided with a specific list of course requirements you need to take in order to establish the equivalency between your education to date and the NAAB professional degree requirements.

In my experience, individuals with international degrees often require as much in the way of general education coursework as architecturally specific coursework, and it is rare that the total additional requirements for someone in your situation would be more than one or two semesters at most.

For more information about the EESA-NAAB evaluation, check their website at:

https://www.eesa-naab.org/home.aspx

Good luck!

Fred Little

Manager, Graduate Programs

NJIT College of Architecture & Design

Oct 6, 11 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Brandon Ji

Great! Thank you very much for your kind, correct, and specific answer. I appreciate you very very much!!!

Oct 7, 11 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: