Archinect
anchor

is no news good news?

jbabs

so, i am just curious if all of you could share your experience/knowledge/advice with me....i am in the midst of job hunting. had an interview at a starchitect firm, it went well. i think i can say that with confidence. they liked my work, my experience, we seemed to mesh well. it was a little over a week ago. since then: no call, no letter no nada...is no news good news? or bad? i am sure there are plenty of other candidates interviewing but how long typically(if there is such a thing) until a response?

i called to follow up yesterday, and sent a thank you note after the interview....the suspense is killing me. if they offered me to make their coffee i would take it, because for as long as i could remember, i have wanted to work for them.

thank you in advance for your input.

Aug 5, 05 9:01 pm
joe

patience.
slow down and take a deep breath.
still early.

Aug 5, 05 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
RankStranger

Did you talk to someone when you called?
My first job was like this.
They said they'd call me early next week.
Friday, comes - I finally call them.
He says, oh, yeah, <shuffles papers> sorry
I was supposed to get back to you.
We'd like to offer you the job . . .
Apparently they were so busy he forgot to call me.
So you should definitely try to talk to whomever you interviewed with.
But at the same time, what joe said.
Call, say 3 times max.
First in the morning, if they're not available say you'll call back.
Then in the afternoon, then the next day.
That 3rd time, you'll just have to leave a message and hope they'll get back to you.
But you said you already called.
So I don't know.
That's just me though.
And again, what joe said.

Aug 5, 05 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

My experience with job searches are non-traditional. I prefer to stay self-employed, but every so often, I see what the job market has to offer. for me, it consistantly offers less, for more work & lower quality of life. Nonetheless, here's some stuff I've learned.

A week is nothing. Those doing the hiring often take as long as they need - could be a day, could be 3 months. Recently, I sent a resume to a firm & they called me back the same day. I interviewed the next day, had the 2nd interview in another 3 days & had a job offer all within a week. I really liked the firm, but their offer was too low, so I told them politely that I was going to keep interviewing. One week later, I got a large project (for me, at least) that would keep me busy making more than the firm's offer. Things worked out better. I like to think they did because I didn't jump at an offer that I didn't like.

Other application processes of mine have gone well, but never heard back at all. Sometimes, though, you just 'know' during & after the interview whether you got that job.

To help maintain your sanity in the meantime, go find something else to use your brain on. Try to focus on other tasks & projects. Go workout, relieve some pent-up stress (therea re other things that do this as well, wink-wink). The more you obsess about this, the chance is higher that you won't get the job (it's a scientific fact!). Seriously, do something to temper those 'butterflies' & anxiety because if they do want you, you need to be ready to not just jump at whatever they offer you. If they don't want you, then the let-down won't be so hard.

Also, find other firms, starchitect, or not, to apply to. Keep things moving, so that you can quickly move on if it doesn't work out w/ your first choice. Also, doing this will sharpen your job search, portfolio & presentation skills. It actually can be fun & have more value than just 'getting a job'.
As Joe basically said: Keep things in perspective.

Aug 5, 05 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Also, you've already done your follow-up & thank you letter. Don't do anything else. It's out of your hands at this point & you've made your impression - if it was good, you don't wanna blow it by transferring desperation onto this application. As someone who has done a bit of hiring & firing (not much of that, thankfully), I can tell you that you've gotten pretty far by geting interviewed because people doing the hiring for a job usually have a huge stack of resumes they're filtering through. Congrats, you made the first cut. At this point, the interview probably has more of an impact than the resume. If you made a good impression, the intervewer will remember that. Again, don't screw up that good impression by being a bug.

If there are many candidates, or if the interviewer has some trouble making a decision, or iif candidates need to be screend by the interviewer's boss, etc, etc - your wait could be a while.

Anyway, blah,blah,blah. BTW - Good Luck to ya.

Aug 5, 05 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
jbabs

sigh...

end of week two...

not a peep...

but thank you for your luck thoughts mystery man. and thank you for your feedback joe, pollen and MM.

i appreciate it

Aug 12, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
alexl

so did you get the offer??

Mar 14, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: