Archinect
anchor

renderings style

BOTS

Piranesi for all your model rendering needs - like photoshop for 3D.

full gallery

Aug 5, 05 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
ap

that's so nasty that it's good

Aug 7, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

hand sketched in auto cad, ortho off with solid hatch. no fuss with mass.

Aug 7, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

anybody can comment on ease of use for maxwell?

i've been curious but it's something that i'm hoping would help make lighting faster/easier. would it reduce the time spent on doing the lighting or am i better off staying in good ol' 3ds or form-z?

other good renderer solutions that are fast?

Aug 7, 05 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd go over to www.cgarchitect.com to read about opinions.
Maxwell is far too slow for me to consider. Will it speed up? It's anyone's guess.

Final Render, VRay, Brazil, and Mental Ray are the others, with Renderman joining the circus soon.

By the way, Maxwell is a plugin for Max, so you'll still be using it (as are all the others, with the exception of RM for now).

Aug 7, 05 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
mwad

abra, i dig that. cool cool.

Aug 8, 05 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
jlxarchitect

remonio:

" like seeing motion blur (with cars and people) , the use of depth of field, slightly overexposed backgrounds for interior scenes and even add some film grain to the final image."

Did you try it successfully in overexposing the backgrounds for the interior scenes?

Aug 9, 05 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
remonio

Jlxarchitect: I meant overexposing the image map or HDRI background used for an interior scene (e.g. view through a window)

Aug 12, 05 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
dlj

trace, maxwell is also releasing a plugin for sketchup. should be interesting to see extreme-thrift meet extreme-photorealism. i'd imagine that we'll start to see an impact when this is released. also, it will speed up much like any other renderer in alpha/beta stages, but it will always be very expensive in terms of time.

Aug 13, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
.dwg

do you think it's a project or final panel is 'unsuccessful' if a student presents 'unrealistic' renderings? i mean, ones that are not produced by renderers such as max and viz? lately, i've been really frustrated by working with 3d production programs and am willing to discover and be inspired by other representational approaches, whether it be combining line drawings with photoshop or any other types of rep different from just sitting in front a computer staring at the 1%, 2% comleted.... rendering bar. i think i'm feeling diconnected with my work because of so much computer-produced work lately. i'll be happy to be inspired by interesting ways of representation that are also successful. i do enjoy LTL's work. any others?

Aug 15, 05 12:16 am  · 
 · 
jmC

3DMax, a skydome, a light to cast shadows but not to strong or sharp, light tracer advanced lighting and exposure control... that is how I have been doing most of my rendering but all that works fine and fast as long as you be really careful in the modellig process... no plugin

I have tried MaxWELL that did not work so well on my laptop... all renders taking days to be good enough... but I would use it on a kickass machine

sketchup seems to be a great tool for modeling as far as there are no spline involved. So quick and easy to use... it is like the missing link between CAD and 3D programs

Sep 10, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
myriam

MysteryMan's first post was word for word what I was thinking. I'm really, really relieved to see there are others out there who think like I do.

I am quite decent at hand-sketching, and prefer it as that is the method most natural to my own design process. For me, while working in 3D my brain is turned off of design/critical-thinking mode and rests deep in "produce produce produce" mode; for some, completely unknown reason, actually sketching with pencil achieves 99% of my best design thinking. I don't know why, but that's just the way I'm wired to work. As this is beginning to cause weird problems with employment opportunities, I had started to feel like I was somehow deficient. But the thing is, everyone does things best their own way. Many good 3d-modelers I know detest sketching and don't do well at it; I am the opposite. I think it's more important for you to go with what's natural to you than to try to force yourself into some odd shape because of your perception of how others will react.

In any case, for the record, I have had most success with clients responding to hand-sketched drawings, physical models, and most definitely, conceptual collages created on the computer. It seems to me that clients get a thrill out of seeing something "artistic" from their hired artisan than something rote and mechanical looking, even if "realistic." Also, like others, I've seen clients run into problems before with overly-realistic renderings; it can stray the design discussion completely off-base and can lead to unrealistic expectations.

Sep 10, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
jmC

the problem with realistic renderings such as produced with computers lays in the fact that we are not machines to produce finished designs at preliminary drawings stages. I usually do not design my handrail and do not know what material I will use for the lobby at this stage... I concentrate on plans, sections, and volumes I design.
Handsketch is still an asset facing clients and bosses but do not resolve the crave for photorealistic realms.

Sep 11, 07 2:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: