Archinect
anchor

using metal meshes in the US. companies and pricing.

thenewold

Hello. I'm posting this thread to see if there are some archinects ot there who have worked in the USA have experience using metal mesh products in exterior façade type applications. I have found four companies who make the meshes: McNichols, Cambridge Arch Mesh, GKD metal fabrics, and WS Tyler.

The situation, and the help/advice I need, is mostly regarding pricing. I'm young and relatively new to practice, my office has no experience using this type of product, and I'm basically on my own finding out about using this stuff. Companies want to know what and how much you want before giving a quote (that's normal) but I'd like the reverse to happen; to let the quantity issue somewhat inform how much mesh I design into the project.

So, if you can remember, does anyone know which US companies are less expensive than others, and does anyone remember any prices you've received for actual projects and actual quotes ?

Thanks for your help.

Aug 2, 05 10:41 am
squaresville

I do general research for materials using 'arcat' website
http://www.arcat.com/ search for metal screens.

of course for pricing its advantageous to find a manufacturer of stamped metal for example and then ask for pricing for quantities like linear foot for example. If you want to save money you basically have to design it your self in leu of pre manufactured system. asking contractors if your working with one right now is also helpful, they may have some local suppliers that they can recommend.

Aug 2, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

i feel as though gkd will be the most expensive...
mcnichols less...as far as pricing. i would calculate
the largest possible sq footage...get a price and
calculate back. find out what their pricing structure is..
it's possible they have /sq ft costs, min number of
sq ft/ order, discounts after you reach a certain
number of sq ft..etc. i would agree with squaresville.
stamped will be cheaper...

Aug 2, 05 11:45 am  · 
 · 
thenewold

fantastic responses. thanks for the help.

$25 a square foot sounds okay but 52,920 sq ft is eff-ing huge so sounds like a huge quantity discount.

so far, reps I've talked to have been a bit dodgy about discussing discounts after reaching a certain number square feet. GKD has been very helpful and they provide excellent material samples. McNichols has shit for samples and isn't much help at all.

Aug 3, 05 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
art tech geek

You should check out Gerard Daniels - City Wire Cloth. They are a weaving mill - everything you could ever dream of from #316 stainless steel filter cloth (looks like a tightly woven satin that you cannot see thru) to wire meshes. Specing is base on dia of wire, & how many wires per inch. ie. a .060" #2 would be a tabby weave - with two wires of .060" dia per inch in each axis. Most of the wires are crimped as they are woven - locking them so that the do not easily unravel.

Minimum order is $250. Last time I needed something it was a #304 stainless with I think .08 or .09 #2. It was about $5 a square foot. They would cut it to length within the price I needed at the mill. They are located locally out in Fontana, Calif. with other mills elsewhere. 1.800.323.3332 Gerard Daniels

If it was the same as that above - it would be about $264,600. Do I get a kickback??

Aug 5, 05 12:06 am  · 
 · 
joncro55

Just stumbled across this forum in a google search and thought I would help some of you out that might still be looking for something similar to the sitation that was previously discussed here:

Gerard Daniel is overpriced in general, I would either use Mcmaster Carr, which is an industrial supply company that can supply several different variations of wire mesh, or go straight to the manufacturer of this screen wire mesh and wire cloth material here:

http://www.bwire.com/

Check them out, they should have the best price on the internet and only a $100.00 minimum I believe.  Have used several times as of late and always satisfied.

Nov 2, 11 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: