Archinect
anchor

RE: ARE readiness heuristic ???

jmanganelli

There is no magic number or % of correct answers that must be achieved to pass the ARE. There is a cutoff score which test takers do not know.

But in your experience, is there a benchmark when taking practice exams that if achieved results in a high likelihood to pass the multiple choice portion? The vignette portion?

For example, in your experience, can you deem yourself ready to test when you can get on the order of 70% of the multiple choice answers correct and catch 8/12 vignette issues during a practice exam?  Higher?  Lower?  

Thanks in advance for feedback.

Oct 2, 11 10:11 pm

I took the older version, but for the multiple choice I felt comfortable with having at least 80% correct. For the vignettes I always thought they had to be perfect with no deficiencies.

Oct 2, 11 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I did the same - 80% on practice exams and perfect on the vignettes .

Oct 2, 11 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thanks to you both.  that is very helpful.

Oct 3, 11 2:03 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The vignettes? You'd be surprised to know what actually passes. Having been a volunteer test taker, I was able to see some horrible, or so I thought, vignettes, only to find out they were passes. Now, with the new set-up however, the mix makes for a more complicated analysis. NCARB will be less forgiving on vignettes. Don't forget too, that multiple choice questions are weighted.

Oct 5, 11 1:09 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

so far from the tests i have taken, 5 out of 7, the vignettes are very straightforward, so much so that i wouldnt be surprised if you needed to be perfect to pass.

multiple choice has been iffy with me.  I would be getting 60% on some practice exams, then take the test and pass.  So i dont know if i just would have a good day, or if the passing % for that particular version of the test was just in my favor with regard to which questions were weighted higher, or what

I would always recommend to not stress too much over practice exams, in that you dont need to be scoring 90% or higher before you will even sit for the exam. 

Oct 5, 11 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
jmanganelli

thank you all for your perspectives --- it is very helpful

Oct 5, 11 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Personally, I think the pass rate for the multiple choice can't be over 60% on the real exams. The questions are just too absurd. I don't think even the most prepared individual could exceed, say, 85%. Just my opinion after having taken them.

Oct 6, 11 10:06 am  · 
 · 

And by "perfect on the vignettes" I just mean that they meet all of the requirements, not that they're pretty, logical, or efficient.

Oct 6, 11 11:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: