Archinect
anchor

How many firms did you apply to?

britton

Curious: How many arch firms did you apply to before getting an offer and/or accepting an offer as a recent MArch grad? Just starting out the job search process...

Jul 21, 05 11:55 am
momentum

around 100. roughly 2 years ago.

Jul 21, 05 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

B Arch grad, around 40, 4 years ago.

Jul 21, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

B Arch grad, about 60, 1 year ago (in Boston)

Jul 21, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
siggers

After my BSc I applied to 80 in Glasgow and Edinburgh, heard from 3, got offered two jobs, accepted one of them.

Jul 21, 05 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

B.Arch grad. My school sent had us give them 2000 resumes a piece, and sent them indiscriminately to firms all over the world. Because I specified that I wanted to stay in the LA area, I only had to fend off about 50 calls. I accepted a job from the second place I interviewed, as the first one just wasn't a good fit for what I wanted to be doing.

Jul 21, 05 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

wow...that's just a crazy amount of resumes...i think i may
have sent out 10-15 to get my first job...my second job was
set up while in my first through a friend and for my third i
sent out one resume and got hired a couple days later...
my last two consultant jobs were immediate hires as well.

my next job i suspect will be a bit more difficult...

Jul 21, 05 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

geez you guys crazy.

BA, (not arch) i applied to like 10.

Jul 21, 05 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
britton

that's a lot of resumes...so far, i'm getting ready to send about 25

Jul 21, 05 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, I know it's a lot, but that's why they call it the University of Special Connections. = ) I'm sure there were only around twenty places that I would've worked for out of all of that, but the school didn't feel like making custom books for each firm, so they just sent out a standard "USC School of Architecture Class of 2005" resume book that had all of our resumes as well as a Q&A sheet about what area we wanted to work in, how much $$$ we required, etc. It made it all quite easy.

Jul 21, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

b.arch grad, about 20, first interview hired me and i took it. pay is shit but i'm liking the work since it's design-build.

Jul 21, 05 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
aeaa

about 15 for the first job.........looking again and I am sitting around 25 and have only pulled a couple of interviews, no offers.

Jul 21, 05 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

about to ship of 30. previously, it was one at most. i have always been offered (arch) jobs through friends.

Jul 21, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

First job with an March out of school, think I sent 5 resumes, had three interviews, one offer...second job found through a friend, no search that I remember... third job sent 2 resumes (while still at second job, which came in handy when I was laid off a few months later) and had offers from both...now on my own :-)
I have no idea what I'll do if I have to look again - probably talk to friends, ask around, try to figure out what would be a good fit and narrow it down to a few places I'd really want to work. I prefer to know someone (or more than one person, if possible), who works there in advance, because there is so much more to a job than the work the office does and the pay...

Jul 21, 05 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

ra rudolph,

agree wholeheartedly with the last paragraph.

Jul 21, 05 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I sent out 9 shortly after graduating (this past summer). I started working about 5 weeks ago...

Jul 21, 05 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

in my experience, sending out resumes is just a waste of resources, the only thing it really accomplishes is that it provides for some nice busy work if you are unemployed. i've done mass mailings on a couple of occasions (anything from 12-50 firms) and i can't even recall getting a decent interview from this method.

by contrast, the last three architecture jobs i have had did advertise positions, in fact, i don't think any of them were really even looking to hire anyone, i just sort of showed up, offered my services and they made room for me. the caveat is that none of these have been very good paying. i guess that moral of the story is that if you are affordable enough, everybody can use the help.

Jul 21, 05 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

mass-mailing resumes is a waste of time. write up an a-list and try to get resumes into the hand of someone helpful. follow up with phonecalls. if a-list fails, make a b-list.

you dont win by wallpapering the city with your resumes.

Jul 22, 05 3:04 am  · 
 · 

first job i didn't apply but was asked to work for the office (after BED).

second job after MArch was in another country and my connections were close to non-exisitent so sent out about 30 cv's to firms i wanted to work for. got about 20 replies, 5 interviews and 3 job offers in a weeks time, no worries.

The last few years i get work from contacts and haven't really needed my CV except for PR-type stuff. But in a few years from now I am sure to be sending it out again. 30 offices still seems about right...certainly not a waste of time.

Jul 22, 05 6:21 am  · 
 · 
funga

From B.S. Arch from a small school , moved to LA, 2 years ago, no experience ,100 resumes, 5 interviews , 2 jobs offer, still in the same job, i am scared of looking for a job again

Jul 23, 05 12:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: