Archinect
anchor

SOM in San Francisco

uscarch99

Has anyone worked or is currently working at SOM in San Francisco? I am applying for a Junior Architect postion and would like some guidance on the firm.

Jul 18, 05 7:49 pm
bawmis

all i know is that they pay 41k to start

Jul 18, 05 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

I heard that they do a lot of China stuff

Jul 19, 05 12:07 am  · 
 · 
leander

i am thinking about the same place...in a year coming from a prominent sf form located in socal...where else have you worked?

Jul 19, 05 12:24 am  · 
 · 
guiggster

Oops. Thought this was S&M in San Francisco. Can't help you with SOM.

Jul 19, 05 5:45 am  · 
 · 
bmyrum

My friend works there. Since she started i haven't heard from her since christmas. She went to china on som's dollar. They do tons of china and urbanism work. Everyont at S&M seems to work really long hours and no overtime. That is all i heard if you end up working there let us know. You can tell me if my friend is still alive and working there.

Jul 19, 05 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Minimal Animal

they will pay you next-to-nothing...work you like a pig and treat you like shit...

enough said..

Jul 19, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
uscarch99

Well everyone has such high opinions of SOM

Jul 19, 05 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
polipop

a friend of mine is working there and he seems not to have time to do anything else than work. he's paid per hour. he started there two months ago. he said it's kind of tiring, and of course, no life outside the office.

Jul 19, 05 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
kendogg

it all depends on how you want your experience to be at SOM-SF. A majority of the people there do spend an obscene amount of time at the office, but others prioritize family or social time and leave at the end of official work hours (5:30). Initial pay is low compared to working at another large, corporate firm. However, the resources, types of projects and the immense talent at this office makes up for it. China projects make up about 30-40% of work, but there's a lot of projects here in California and the rest of the US.

i hope this helps uscarch99

Jul 19, 05 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

reviving this thread. I'm hoping to get some feedback on the Urban Design studio there.. any impressions anybody would care to share?

Oct 20, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Urbanist

so nobody has any recent impressions of working at SOM? :) Do they swear y'all to secrecy?

Oct 21, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

I have an extremely good friend who works for SOM-SF...she likes it...I hate corperate!
Yes you have long hours at SOM...but if work for an architect and dont work long hours then its probably a shitty firm! If you get the job you will have a tremendous opportunity staring you in the face. You would be working on some of the largest projects in the world. Coordinating between multiple disciplines around the world.
-As for the urban design...I dont know anyone in that department...but I do know that SOM is pioneering the Treasure Island redevelopment project in SF...basically building a new city on treasure Island(facing SF)
-and of course SOM just lost a close race in the Transbay Terminal Project to Ceaser Pelli.

Oct 22, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: