Archinect
anchor

Fountains/Water and Architecture

mn

Any good examples of built work that incorporates water/fountain?

Jun 27, 05 6:41 pm
driftwood

Not off the top of my head.

But I'm thankful you at least didn't use the term:

'Water feature.'

Jun 27, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Kai

steven holl worked at a landscape arch firm as his first or one of his first jobs, on of the projects he talks about in an interview I read somewhere is a nice fountain I believe in flint, michigan involving an archimedes screw powered by water

Jun 27, 05 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
dia

The Master, Barragan

Jun 27, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
dia

And...

Jun 27, 05 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

bernini baby

Jun 27, 05 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City
[img]http://jackmaryetc.com/Mexico/Images/MCMuseoFountain.jpg]

Jun 27, 05 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
sarah123

oops...

Jun 27, 05 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Kai-

I did a quick search and didn't find anything about Steven Holl's possible work in Flint. I'd like to know more about it if it's actually true. However, I don't recall any neat archimedian screw fountains from my time there.

The only fountains in Flint I'm familiar with are those done by Lawrence Halprin & Associates (though there's some contention whether L.H. was with the firm, or involved with the project at this time or if maybe his firm did only the work on the 'fountain block' portion of the park--I just don't know) which are now in complete and utter ruin (think 'Third World') less than 30 years later. I've explored them extensively in their present state, it must have been really something back in the day.

You can go here and then find Flint Riverbank Park in the project section. There's a picture of one of the large fountains. CHNMB Associates, Inc. won an ASLA Honor award in 1982 for the park.

Jun 28, 05 2:13 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Lawrence Halprin is very much a master of the public fountain as well.

See Freeway Park in Seattle and... Oh I forget all the ones in Portland. You can't walk two blocks without tripping over a Halprin fountain in that city. But I really do like them. Because they are absolutely sketchy. There are a lot of problems with crime in Freeway Park because of all the nooks and crannies and secluded little corners that are hard and dangerous to reach.

Jun 28, 05 2:16 am  · 
 · 
Kai

Maybe I got the city wrong, but it is in michigan. Holl talks about it in an interview in El Croquis voulume 78 or 93. I'll check it out if I remember next time I'm in the library

Jun 28, 05 2:51 am  · 
 · 
emanate

fun (and antique) water games with this slideshow of Hellbrunn Palace:

www.globosapiens.net/spaceout/slide-show-hellbrunn-palace-807.html

more examples from a sponsor:

www.fountainhd.com

Jun 28, 05 3:34 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

One of my favourites is the Trevi fountain in Rome - a quality urban contribution

Jun 28, 05 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: