Archinect
anchor

LCD or Plasma Screen TV?

kissy_face

Which of these screens is 'better'? I'm looking at buying a new television (currently my laptop has a bigger screen!) I'm not necessarily going to by either one, but I was just curious about the differences between the two.

Jun 25, 05 11:34 pm
Janosh

View angle is better on plasmas, but they also have a shorter lifespan.

Jun 26, 05 12:40 am  · 
 · 
brown666

plasma is a bunch more expensive, but the main difference is: LCD technology is limited to a reasonable size, if you want something huge you have to go for plasma....

Jun 26, 05 5:06 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

LCDs don't have the same burnout problems as a plasma. it also has a higher resolution than most plasma screens. plasma is made bigger but that's just because of manufacturing techniques. LCDs asre quickly catching up.

i'd go LCD (saving up right now)

Jun 27, 05 2:04 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

I have an LCD. Look out for depth of black contrast, many LCD screens can have trouble replecating shades of black.

Jun 27, 05 6:50 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd look into some of the new rear projection tvs. Some are only inches thick for mostrous sizes at reasonable prices.

Personally, I'd skip both lcds and tvs, at least for now, as there are newer and better products every month. The idea that plasma's have a 'life span' scares me - I had a 20 year old trinitron that looked great until last year!

Also, keep in mind that computer lcds are far superior in quality to tv lcds. The resolutions are usually twice as high, which you pay for, of course.

Jun 27, 05 10:01 am  · 
 · 
BOTS

trace - computer LCD are the poor cousin to TV LCD. While you may get more resolution the refresh rate of the pixels is more important. Any fast motion will be difficult to replicate if the pixels cannot keep up. the whole image looks like a blur.

If you have the space I'd go for a projector and screen.

Jun 27, 05 10:32 am  · 
 · 
form64

only because space was tight, i bought this Olevia 32" LCD TV for my studio. this got great reviews as best for the money and very close to the ones costing 2-3 times as much. as technology changes so fast, i did not want to spend 3k on something that looked identical to me.

this was $1,300 and works great as a presentation monitor for the laptop. dvd's and HDTV looks awesome on it.

Jun 27, 05 10:57 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

oh. look into generics. often time two different brands, say a sony and some generic will actually be manufactured from the same exact parts from the same factory and just packaged slightly differently. i forget where i found the comparisons though...

Jun 27, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
A

LCD? Plasma? Are those just fancy new names for my Victrola?

Jun 27, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: