Archinect
anchor

Driving across the U.S.

JK664

Im going to be moving out to la to start sci-arc in the fall and am driving from NJ. Any interesting stops to take or great buildings to see? Im taking 70 west the whole way which takes me through pittsburg, indianapolis, st louis, denver, vegas, then to la.

Jun 25, 05 4:41 pm
kylemiller

moab, utah

Jun 25, 05 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
norm

last dollar saloon in telluride - then west to moab.

Jun 26, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Stop in Salina, KS and get a few dozen burgers at the Cozy Inn. Yum.

Make sure you see the Arch in St. Louis.

Jun 26, 05 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
leander

you should go see principia college outside of st. louis.

all done by maybeck. better than burgers. just beware of the children of the corn students.

Jun 26, 05 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
leander

too bad you're not doing the southern route, i stayed in austin and spent a couple nights at arcosanti (zombie land).

anyway, i should have gone to marfa.

Jun 26, 05 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

the giant sheet metal cross west of amarillo, TX and the leaning water tower near by.

Jun 26, 05 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Arches State Park along the Colorado River

Jun 26, 05 9:21 pm  · 
 · 
arrky

city museum in st louis, downtown denver, ghost towns in the mountains are cool (ashcroft by aspen)

Jun 26, 05 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

* St. Louis (surprising for a 'flyover' state)
* Colorado, anywhere in the mountains
* Definitely Vegas, try to hit the Grand Canyon only if you've got
a couple extra dys

* Go see some of the later In-N-Out Burgers when you get to L.A.

Hey BOSSMAN, is the Big Texan still standing in Amarillo?

Jun 26, 05 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
db

ok, in St Louis, do check out the Arch (don't just "see" it -- go up in it too -- pretty cool). Then head to Ando's Pulitzer Museum (which is only open wed and sat, so plan accordingly) and Cloepfil's Contemporary Art Museum in Grand Center (Washington / Spring). After, go for a beer at the Tap Room at 21st / Locust and ponder the experience.

On your way here, take a slight detour and check out Columbus, IN. Lots of fantastic mid-century/moderate modern stuff. Great vision on the city's part.

Jun 27, 05 7:30 am  · 
 · 
J3

If you happen to be in Columbus for lunch, stop at:
Thurman Cafe
183 Thurman Ave
Columbus, OH 43206
(614) 443-1570
The burgers are huge and delicious. I made a pit stop there from Indy to DC last year.

If you have a little extra time, you can deviate south to Cincinnati (take 71 south@ cinci. and then 74 up to Indy) there are some great new buildings there.

Jun 27, 05 9:14 am  · 
 · 
Archi-F

The Big Texan is a staple in Amarillo - I just wish the place didn't smell like sulfer - I always get a headache driving through there.

Jun 27, 05 10:47 am  · 
 · 
JK664

what about good places to go out at night?

Jun 27, 05 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

what's the 'big texan'? i never really stop in amarillo except to just get gas.

Jun 28, 05 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
caffeine junkie

columbus indiana...old school modernism
Chicago
Zion national park (arches is good too)
the twin cities are supposed to be great too

Jun 28, 05 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: