Archinect
anchor

screw zagat

bawmis

upon moving to new york, i was confronted with its elitist sceniness. i know there is something to say for discovering that great place for yourself, but can anyone whos lived in nyc for more than a month offer their own personal diamonds in the rough? restaurants, stores, bakeries, bars, places, galleries, or etc. being an intern architect i cant afford the pretension

Jun 25, 05 4:26 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

i love nyc, but the pretension is so fucking thick you need a chainsaw or plumbers snake to sort through the shiite. so have fun making fun...

Jun 25, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

isn't archinect pretty pretentious with "elitist sceniness"?

Jun 25, 05 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
levasser

bawmis, what neighborhood are you in?

Jun 26, 05 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
bawmis

right now hells kitchen but i havent settled permanently and i am open to any or all suggestions in general independent of where i live.

Jun 26, 05 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
bawmis

right now hells kitchen but i havent settled permanently and i am open to any or all suggestions in general independent of where i live.

Jun 26, 05 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
lush

hells kitchen is way up there in the snobby-pretentious dept. In manhattan i feel like the upper west side and harlem lack the 'elitist sceniness' of so many of the 'cool' lower manhattan villages/ kitchens/ squares etc. I would also give some of the less yuppie neighborhoods of brooklyn a look-see- fort green, boerum hill, bed stuy etc.

Jun 26, 05 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

You HAVE to go to Maryann's on 16th and 8th Ave. Best Mexican food and margaritas in the city. Plus, I think they put crack in the food that makes you crave it weekly. I'm serious. Even if you don't have the margarita (or the delightful sangria) you leave the place feeling a little bit buzzed. And the next day, you'll want it again. Best part? It's cheap. Average entree is about 8-12 bucks and it's totally laid back, no pretense, no scenesters, just good food and loud conversations.

Jun 26, 05 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
Zoë Coombes

I'd hate for archinect to turn into a food and drinks guide to major cities, so I'll write this from a design perspective:

My two cheap favourites after 5years in NY are BOnita at south second and Bedford in Williamsburg because they have those white tiles on the walls that remind me of the subway in Paris And Taqueria on Amsterdam at 107th street because their micro-space and open fire and linoleum floor reminds me of nothing and the food is great.

Jun 26, 05 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
billy

i really enjoy ivo & lulu's, low-key byob caribbean tapas. no resys, so expect a wait if you are not early or late.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=5259&neighborhoodid=22&cuisineid=0

kuma inn in the lower east side rocks too - small plate as well.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=0&restaurantid=4913&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=0

Jun 26, 05 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Suture

grays papaya!

Jun 26, 05 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: