Archinect
anchor

Any Drive In TheA-ters Left In Your Town?

MysteryMan

Posting on the SUV thread got me to wondering: How many Drive In TheA-ters are still left in the USA? If you know of one let's discuss.

Here's Atlanta's only remaining Drive-In:
http://www.starlightdrivein.com/

Jun 25, 05 8:27 am
Jr.

The drive-in here in Bloomington, Indiana is the Starlite. Also w/in 20-30 minutes of my house are the Holiday Drive-In in Spencer, the Centerbook Drive-In in Mooresville, and the Holiday Drive-In in Mitchell. We usually only go to the Bloomington one, though.

Jun 25, 05 10:43 am  · 
 · 
e

just a drive in liquor store.

Jun 25, 05 11:13 am  · 
 · 
http://www.drive-ins.com/

Look up YOUR nearest drive-in! There is only 1 left in LA County!!!

Jun 25, 05 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Only 1?!? I guess if a [iece of land greater than 1/16 acre is vacant in L.A., it's gonna get used quickly.

Jun 26, 05 10:05 am  · 
 · 
e

more than one. steve's post has a site to find the one closest to you. mine is in evertt 18 miles away.

Jun 26, 05 11:49 am  · 
 · 
heterarch

snjr, i'm "from" spencer.. :) been to the holiday many times and the starlite once. great places. there's also one in indy that my gf and i used to go when i lived there, just a few minutes from downtown. drive ins are what separate us from the animals. i'm currently in nyc, and unfortunately, there aren't many anywhere near.. not that it matters, not having a car and all.. :)
also, in the case of indiana, there may not be that many within the next couple of years. the change to daylight savings may put them all out of business. cruel world.

Jun 27, 05 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
zeth01

1 in Milwaukee Wisconsin

Jun 27, 05 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jr.

heterarchy--don't get me started on daylight saving time! It is beyond me why the rest of the world can't just *give* *it* *up*.

I have to confess, I've never quite caught on to the difference between "fast time" and "slow time" in southern Indiana. I worked one summer on the Hoosier National Forest, and everytime we'd go down south, I'd have to remind myself what time I was supposed to be in.

obDrive-Ins: the first time we went to the one in Spencer, a friend gave us the following directions: "Go west on 46 until you get to Spencer. You know where you turn right to go north on 67? Don't. Turn left and go to the McDonald's right there and use the bathroom. The Spencer drive-in bathrooms are so disgusting, even *I* won't use them."

Jun 27, 05 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
leshy

there are 2 left in baltimore area

Jun 27, 05 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

yeah, i think that drivein bathrooms are pretty universally bad news, but well worth it for a beautiful evening outside watching movies against the night sky. though actually, driveins in the rain are pretty amazing too. especially if you're watching a scary movie with that special someone... :)

Jun 27, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

god i love drive ins. unless you actually watch the movies. there is one in the area here. but one of our young interns said that they totally search your car. you cant bring any of your own food or drinks in and you cant smuggle anyone in in the trunk. god. how am i supposed to get wasted while watching land of the dead?

Jun 27, 05 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
heterarch

good call vado. as much as i love driveins, i boycot any that perform search and seizure. smuggling in illicit substances is part of what makes it an american passtime. :)

Jun 27, 05 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Isabelle

Awesome drive in theatre in Capitola next to Santa Cruz.

Jun 27, 05 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: