Archinect
anchor

graphic design in architecture

icedragon

I am returning to school to recieve a degree in graphic design is there any way to use this into working in the Architecure industry.

Ie Architectural design?

Jun 24, 05 9:10 am
trace™

some large firms have graphic dept.s, but they are completely separate from the architecture (ie they don't do any graphics for architecture, just their own clients).

I would say 'no', as a general answer. Some may need some work from time to time, like logos, websites, etc., but in general they'll do the graphic work themselves.

Jun 24, 05 9:45 am  · 
 · 
rtdc

If you already have an professional architecture degree, having a graphic design one will help you get hired.

Graphic design is the tool we as architects use to convey our ideas to the client. Good graphic desing helps the client understand our ideas and makes the ideas easier to sell.

Jun 24, 05 9:51 am  · 
 · 
hutcdj1

i would certainly say yes.

in today's job market i think degrees (from respected institutions) are pretty flexible as long as you are capable, knowledgable, and hard working. and have come connections.

at my architecture firm (about 35 people) there are employees dedicated solely to pumping out slick presentation materials- renderings etc. having a thorough understanding of digital imaging/rendering software would certainly prepare you for this position. most of these workers are 25-35 and go on to do bigger and better things in the office.

a graphic design background can be used as a stepping stone to the arch industry. it is a background that is very in demand- since most older architects/principals lack the digital expertise and require someone to convert their ideas into crispy renderings.

good luck ice

Jun 24, 05 9:56 am  · 
 · 
AP

ice, I agree with above...

I just graduated with a 4 yr Bachelors (pre-pro) architecture degree. Some how I ended up with a good bit of Graphic Design experience (from working on magazines, presentation stuff etc). I just got my first job out of school and just being able to say confidently that I could complete graphic design tasks got me hired. In my first two weeks (which end today) I have done as much graphic oriented work as anything else.

Employers love multi-faceted employees. They can keep you busy with a variety of tasks, and more of your hours at work are "bill-able" or profitable or whatever. Ya know...just my two cents...

Jun 24, 05 11:04 am  · 
 · 
e

i've found my background in architecture makes it easier to beat out other firms and get jobs doing work for architects whether it be an identity system, web site, brochure, or exhibition.

Jun 24, 05 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

Architecture Design is all about Graphic Design, we all have to know how to put a good presentation together....face it, firms sell clients and win competitions based on image.....the more graphic design we know the better. unless, you are going to be an Architecture whore, that’s a different story..........

Jun 24, 05 11:48 am  · 
 · 
e

"Architecture Design is all about Graphic Design"

uh, no it isn't. architecture is about putting a good building together. architectural presentations are all about graphic design.

Jun 24, 05 11:55 am  · 
 · 
gman_NY

A graphic design degree is an excellent compliment to architecture and one that I believe will give you an edge over a lot of other architects. I am an architect who specializes in "branded environments". My practice not only creates dynamic spaces, but also uses that space as a canvas where graphic communications help define a brand. We do not seperate or define individuals at our firm as "graphic designers" or "architects" - I do both and because of that can produce a project that blends the two fields together successfully. In today's world of brand savy businesses and the amount of information trying to get communicated it just makes sense for architects to start harnessing the power of graphics to compliment and add to spaces.

Jun 24, 05 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

IM being sarcastic.....but, it seams these days architecture is all about the "money shot" you can’t dispute that

good building?
good building?

Jun 24, 05 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya sean, and that leads to a lot of superficially created junk that doesn't stand up to life. That's sound byte logic. For marketing, not architecture.

this is a tangent...but we are talking about architectural representation, not architecture... maybe just a silly semantic difference, but nevertheless worth clarifying.

Jun 24, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

WHOA!!! i think graphic design plays a major role it architecture. Just look at the work of OMA and Morphosis. It seems theyre work is heavily influenced by graphics

Jun 24, 05 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
e

i agree monkey. also look to the work of ruedi baur & accociates and hiromura masaaki

Jun 24, 05 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Uh, I'll take back some of what I said. I had assumed he/she did not have an architecture degree.

Jun 24, 05 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: