Archinect
anchor

Architects like SMALL LETTERING. WHY?

MysteryMan

Because I couldn't read something at the bottom of this page, I'm axing the question - Why do we make our text so small/ & grey?

In a profession where we live & die on COMMUNICATING, why do we
do it? WHY? WHY?

Help an old man of 38 out, use BIG LETTERS, I'M BEGGIN YA......

Jun 23, 05 2:42 pm
3ifs

shut up and make your browser text size larger...

Jun 23, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
3ifs

:) have a nice day!

Jun 23, 05 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

because it's so cute

Jun 23, 05 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

attorney's like it even smaller.
(now there's a bumper sticker)

Jun 23, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACK-AGES!

ugh ! dat's messed up :wacko:

Jun 23, 05 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Because smaller test looks more resolute - like an image. Bigger text, especially on the screen looks ragged. See the title text on this page.

And usually because the text is supplementary to the image, so it is downplayed. Often bigger text in websites is created as an image in photoshop and smoothed and blurred, such as found on this page or here.

I am unapologetic about my small text usage.

Jun 23, 05 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

pet hate: student projects where the students name is in enormous letters. i either already know the student's name, or i just don't care that much. it seems so primary school.

bonus points if the title of the project is also in huge letters
more bonus points if the font is conspicuously appalling
more bonus points for naff titles
supreme bonus points for misspellings at sizes of 100pt+

Jun 23, 05 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Just trying to ruin everyone's productivity a little bit.

Jun 23, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

humorously related

Jun 23, 05 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

It's so we can get good use out of all our cool glasses.

Jun 23, 05 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
duchampian

{re]thinking post-gramaticism: an [un]creative [mis]use of punctuation(s)

(fetishized punctuation is even more annoying.)

Jun 23, 05 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

intellectual humility, lack of self-confidence

Jun 23, 05 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
e

i also am unapologetic about my use of small type. me likes the white space around it.

Jun 23, 05 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

el jeffe-

Nice. I tried to read the article, but couldn't get past the fact that a "Conservative Political Forum" was quoting Orwell to provide the introduction to their argument...

Jun 24, 05 4:00 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

here's a nugget from the article:

"WITH A STRAIGHT FACE, then, we can say that a concerted effort to communicate dignity, restraint, and nobility to children and their parents through the use of artful, disciplined fonts in the promotion of children’s products would at least make a dent in an otherwise unfettered popular culture of fashionable disobedience and willful slovenliness."

Pick-up your room or it's nothing but Franklin Gothic for you today!

Jun 24, 05 8:11 am  · 
 · 
joed

architects make graphic presentations using images and text. the best of these presentations scale the text with care relative to the objects being depicted in the images. on a monitor or book page, this often means making the text small. on a large presentation on a wall, the text would get bigger but maintain the same proportions relative to the images.

Jun 24, 05 8:15 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

BECAUSE WE ARE GRAPHICAL COMUNICATORS, not writers....the power of architects is the ability they have to show express n explain they're ideas thru graphical representation (not with a report-like text)...

bests

P.S. i think ppl can keep better an image of a presentation than a phrase or spoken concept

Jun 24, 05 8:34 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I agree that we communicate graphically, and understatement is a good thing. But too little is often too much & comes across as a cute way of saying 'Fock You' with fonts. And, if we're so good at communicating, we need to make our text, no matter how sparingly we use it. Otherwise, we're just being jerks to guys like me too cheap to go buy a pair of horned-rim glasses, dangit!

Jun 24, 05 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
e

well mystery, seems you are equally at fault for not taking care of your eyes. go buy some glasses. i also am 38 so i understand you position, but man you can't complain about you not being able to read type if you can't buck up and buy some much needed glasses.

Jun 24, 05 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Yeah, I know. I just never can keep 'em on...been like that since I was 6. Using CAD for the last 17yrs hasn't helped either. But that's really beside the point. Funny thing is, I've got no problem reading the tattoos that all of those 'low-rider' wearing women have at the base of their backs.....but that, too, is beside the point! Oh, just go use your little letters, I quit!

Jun 24, 05 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: