Archinect
anchor

Berlin June 23

- In berlin for the first time, have stopped looking at flights out of town, and just resigned myself to the fact that this is coolest city i´ve been in for a while and i should stay a bit longer...

- Any tips on things happening these days?, I´ve read the other posts and actually made it to a good many of the places here- But if you know of anything recent, openings, shows, etc misc. would love to hear about them.. i speak no deutche so my finding-out of things is a bit slower than normal...

- any luck finding work here, intern-wise? , i´ve a year off before grad, spending it here would be sweet, reccomendations? advice?

Jun 23, 05 1:43 pm
larslarson

c
i highly reccomend that you take a walking tour...
there's one that's 7 hours long and is just awesome...
as i recall it started at the circus hostel. just a great
overview of the city...mostly centering around
the area around the brandenberg gate. i'd also check
out the scandinavian embassies...the berlin guggenheim
was okay. gehry's interior in the bank next to the gate...
but maybe you've seen these all already

Jun 23, 05 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
dyske

Go see OMA's dutch embassy.

Maria is a really cool club near OSTBANHOF

Check out the beach bars along the Spree river they got dj's playing all day and all night.

Cafe Moscow is another great club as well as Watergate

There is also a floating swimming pool in the spree called "Badeschiff" it,s pretty rad! It's in the back of a big concert hall called ARENA

I spent all summer there last year and i had the best time ever!

http://www.komat.de/susanne-lorenz/spreebruecke.htm

Jun 23, 05 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
dillup.

good rec.'s, dyske.

also check out zitty, (it's worth the 2 euros or however much it costs, available at any stand). even if you don't speak german, you should be able to figure it out (lists local music, as well as art openings under kunst).

Jun 23, 05 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
ether

walk the path along the zoo perimeter in the tiergarten.
check point charlie museum.

Jun 23, 05 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

the head of Nefertiti

"I hear Akanaten, butcha can't come in."

Jun 23, 05 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
sweet randi

work in berlin is very scarce, the city is full of unemployed architects. not speaking german probably does not improve your chances. you might try offices that do some work in the US or UK and who are always doing competitions (Barkow Leibinger, Sauerbruch Hutton) or international offices who do work in Berlin/Germany (Chipperfield, etc.). if you find something you won't be earning much but berlin is quite a cheap place to live, actually.

Jun 23, 05 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
trigirl

check out Hackescher Markt. it's a series of nice courtyards which make up a shopping/entertainment district. it's the name of an s-bahn stop too. check out the surrounding neighboorhood. the further away from public transport, the better it gets. it has been mostly renovated since the reuinification, but there is one courtyard that has remained untouched through the efforts of local artist organizations. it's easy to identify when compared to its surroundings. within this one courtyard there is a local art gallery one the second level (american) with a great selection of design books and some rotating interesting peices. but what's more exciting is the bar on the first level. the courtyard is very small and you will notice a set of step leading to one large, grafitified metal door. there is no handle. you have to knock to get in. it's weird inside, but on a weekend very hip. you don't have to be invited. just go ahead and knock...but not before 12 or 1.

Jun 24, 05 1:23 am  · 
 · 
trigirl
http://www.freischwimmer-berlin.de/

good for afternoon cake

i saw the fantastische fier filming a video here last summer.

Jun 24, 05 1:25 am  · 
 · 
c

thank you much for all your input- am trying to go to the badeschiff pool thing this evening, and take a spin up foster´s dome as the light fades, am leaving tomorrow.... tho sure to be back within a few months- berlinis too cool.

Jun 28, 05 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: