anchor

Poetfolio

EcoArchSefa

for 8wks i have endured the weight of images
deep inside the womb of my soul.
Like a mother who nurtures the life inside her,
So i have molded these basic images.
The days were tempting with the lure of impatience
But my heart resisted and my will persisted!
Now the same heart is resisting Patience
No water will be broken
The HP will spew its blood,
Page by Page
until my third born which i shall name..
Portfolio Superior is born!

but anyway..do ring binders from kinkos detract from the pristine appearance of a portfolio or is it the inside that counts?

Jun 22, 05 11:31 am
A Center for Ants?

3 ring binders? cause they're sorta ugly.

Jun 22, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

definitely. Find a shop that does the nicer rings - not spiral, but rows of small silver rings. Some of the professional graphics places do those (go to Ford if your in LA). Or a shop that does 'perfect' (book type) binding. Spirals are nasty.

Jun 22, 05 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
db

I know it was a typo since r is right next to e on the keyboard -- but the idea of a "poetfolio" is kind of nice. -- ah well, and then the poetry -- got it --

as for 3-ring binders, the unikeep binders are pretty cool and simple -- but it still might depend on the audience

Jun 22, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

rationalist: can you please explain the rows of silver rings or even post a picture? thanks...

Jun 22, 05 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
http://www.bindagraphics.com/presentation/pages/binding.html

These guys have examples of both wire-o (that's what it turns out it's called), and perfect binding. Wire O is very similar in setup to spiral, but it has more slender wires and more of them, and generally is just a notch classier.

Jun 22, 05 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

oh, and the Wire-O comes in different colors, I just said silver cause that's what I've always used.

Jun 22, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

thanks rationalist... i was hoping you had something newer and cooler than wire-o. :) i just submitted my portfolio for entrance to 2nd year at my school just over a week ago. the innards (projects and design) were pretty killer but the binding let me down at the last minute. i had to opt for plastic spiral when something much more excellent was in order. i didn't even think to plan ahead and call a bindery a few weeks in advance as i was neck-deep in studio projects. oh well... at least i'll make the 2nd year and now i know to start early on binding when i apply to future schools.

Jun 22, 05 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, sorry. At least it's cooler than kinko's spiral! Actually, if you can find a repro place that does it, they usually let you walk in and wait for it. I always go over to ford graphics, and as long as my timing's good, it takes 15 minutes, costs 8 bucks, and is definitely worth the extra 5 bucks more than kinko's charges.

Been thinking of going perfect for my grad portfolio though.

Jun 22, 05 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

perfect binding's bad
does not lay flat on tables
an alternative?

Jun 22, 05 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I used perfect bind from a shop and then added my own hard cover. seemed to work pretty well. The spines did get abused, but it did not seem to detract from the overall package and the work inside. Friend used perfect bind with a sort of landscape orientation, worked for him too. But yeah, I could see how it would be hard to lay it on a table. All depends on what you are going for. I was looking for this to be more of a thin "book" hence the hardcover.

Jun 22, 05 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: