Archinect
anchor

seeking urban revitalization tips

Ms Beary

Has anyone seen any GOOD projects surrounding the topic of re-urbanization - old city centers that were abondonded for the malls and applebees of the suburbs over the last few decades?
I actually have a chance to propose a radical idea and have it carry though as part of a state program (competition) to make 'places'. The crazier the better - finally the state south of minnesota and west of illinois has developed a program and is encouraging residents to be wierd and artsy and lead the way in urban revitalization (i don't dare post specifics because i don't want anyone from here doing a search engine and finding this.)
Stats: metro population 150,000. mostly blue collar/ag based economy. not much for intellectualism, cosmopolitan in the residents. most don't ever leave, explore, etc, don't really care or know any better. downtown has booming in 1890, has been downhill since, has some neat old buildings on a strip that have been reinhabited already with some sucess. downtown is on a (muddy) river, but isolated by the interstate which runs between - my proposal (others propose this as well) is to reconnect downtown with the river by manipulating the interstate, i have recieved some praise yet some resistance so am looking for another idea. I have heard so many lame ideas regarding "signage" and "landscaping" - not exactly winning proposals in a boldly-take-us-into-the-future competition. I know that my city is not the only city facing this problem, what have others done that are sucessful? Besides the "biggest ball of earwax" or something.
The atlanta post has made me scared - what are city centers doing these days that is good?

Jun 21, 05 4:14 pm
Jr.

Have you looked at Ft. Wayne, Indiana? I'm not sure how you'd find information about it (beyond Google, of course. There's a blog of sorts at http://www.creativefortwayne.net/), but it might be a good model since it's also in the Midwest. They have been working on downtown revitalization, and the reports I've been hearing have been positive.

Jun 21, 05 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
ether

chattanooga, tn

Jun 21, 05 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Mass MoCA project in North Adams, MA

Jun 21, 05 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

mass moca was thomas krens' project before heading to the guggenheim and bilbao

Jun 21, 05 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
aml

not exactly what you're looking for but this previous discussion and the metropolis link points to interesting directions i thought.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=18328_0_42_50_C

Jun 21, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
driftwood

Memphis has done well, in a big way. I'm certain I've read or seen some articles and discussions about Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. There's also Cleveland. I believe Grand Rapids, MI has been making efforts of this kind as well.

Urban revitalization is such a tricky thing to get a handle on. In my experience, I've found that re-urbanization in many places has relied on the same sort of limited, single 'resource,' oriented ecomonic development that led to the urban core's downfall in the first place, i.e. making the downtown an entertainment center.

Jun 21, 05 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
ether

just a few links i found through google.
chattanooga link 1
chattanooga link 2
chattanooga link 3

Jun 21, 05 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
rtdc

Des Moines or Cedar Rapids?

Jun 21, 05 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

tom krens was at mass moca? no shit...?

Jun 21, 05 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

thanks everyone. keep them coming if you have them.
reedtimothy - neither of those towns if that's what you're asking. but every city is in the running.

Jun 21, 05 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

believe there is nothing going on in fort wayne indiana. the dan quayle museum isnt far from there though

Jun 22, 05 12:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually ms. beary might want to check out naperville illinoize

Jun 22, 05 1:04 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i thought naperville was a burb mr vado?

Jun 22, 05 7:51 am  · 
 · 
mm

You might want to check out the ULI Student Urban Design Competition that has been held for about three years now. Each year they choose a site in a small to medium sized city and students enter the competition as teams to come up redevelopment plans. Some interesting ideas have been proposed but often times the winner is the most mundane, developer-friendly plan...

As for other examples, New Hope, PA is a cool little town that turned itself into an artist enclave without the help of Tom Krens...

Jun 22, 05 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Well, my idea won (in combo with other ideas). The state chose three out of amost 150 entries and is throwing money and resources at the projects. WHOO-HOO! (I pat myself on the back and feel very cool.)

Too bad I just moved away...

Oct 21, 05 12:05 am  · 
 · 
driftwood

Congrats!

Oct 21, 05 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: