Archinect
anchor

Ergonomic Mouse

Sullivan.DJ

I have big hands and a lil office supplied mouse which is making my fingers lock and my hand sore. I'm going crazy and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Any help?

Jun 20, 05 6:12 pm

ergonomic mouse would be a cool cartoon character i bet.

how about a trac-ball?

Jun 20, 05 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
slide009

Check out the Logitech MX1000. It's larger than most mice (due to the internal batteries) and very comfortable. Plus it's cordless and LASER!!! I've been using one since they first came out and love it. When I was doing a lot of gaming (8+ hrs/day) I only had to charge it every few nights. You can also find it cheaper than retail online.

Jun 20, 05 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

Thanks for the suggestions...

Jun 21, 05 11:21 am  · 
 · 
ether
Jun 21, 05 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
I035PEP

I love the Logitech Cordless TrackMan Wheel mouse. Rather than using your fingers, you use your thumb. My wrist problems have improved greatly.

Jun 21, 05 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005853X/qid=1119377090/br=1-10/ref=br_lf_pc_10//104-1146090-2105517?v=glance&s=pc&n=172499

this one is 20.00 on amazon, i use it at home, and i like it. gives a nice surface for the palm, and have sucha bad angle for my wrists like the little ones at work, plus, it is stationary so you don't pick up your mouse and repeatedly bump your wrist on the desk.

thanks for reminding me, i am ordering one for work right now.

Jun 21, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

The original wireless intellimouse explorer rocks, not that version 2.0 crap.

BTW, have fun cranking cad or lassoing a pic in photoshop with a trackball. I'm just not that talented.

Jun 21, 05 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i know some people that use a wacom tablet for everything. even drafting. might be something to consider?

Jun 21, 05 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

I have tried tablets before...I end up needing to use my left hand.. cause I'm left handed. I use my right to mouse, especially with Cad.

Jun 21, 05 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

The wacom tablet looks interesting though I'm left handed as well.
ODR, I'm not sure I get your explanation...isn't it a matter of adjusting to the tablet pen?

Jun 21, 05 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sullivan.DJ

i key with my left hand and mouse with right. I think most autocad shortcuts are on the left side of the keyboard.

Jun 21, 05 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Jrocc

Might want to tey a keyboard/mouse tray, one of those adjustable under the desk things. One of my co workers has bad carpal and fond that to be the best thing. Other things he tried, trackball, vertical mouse. Tablet could be intresting if you have the space.

Jun 21, 05 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i went to a seminar on 'office ergonomics' once. apparently the way in which you must position your hand when moving a mouse means there is no mouse that is truely ergonomic. any way you slice it, its pretty much unhealthy. one of the biggest misnomers in the work place is that objects which have an organic shape are ergonomic are more comfortable and better suited to your body. not true. they say the best way to position your keyboard is on a keyboard tray pointed down, or else on your lap. apparently this allows better alignment between your hand and forearm across your wrist, lessening the chances of injury. that is key: the more you minimize bending your wrists, the more comfortable you will be and less likely to injure your self. the simple nature of a mouse as a small lump on your desk negates this. would be interesting if someone invented a mouse that was much thinner, more like a credit card.

Jun 21, 05 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
neill

I've heard great things about the MX1000, For my hands it's not long enough, although I've seen that it can track on about anything including borco. Its rechargable batteries are also a plus. However, I prefer the MX510, MX518, or MX700. It is longer and much more comfortable. If you are a gamer, the 518 has on the fly sensitivity adjustment buttons. I have it and have no complaints whatsoever.

I'd recommend going to a store and touching them to find your own favorite.

Jun 21, 05 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

Do any of ya'll know of a mouse that doesn't make that 'FRIGGIN' CLICK SOUND' & scrolls w/out the equivalent of a tactile click? I think if my index finger doesn't fall off first from the lack of ergonom, I will freak out from ALL THE CLICK-CLICK CLICK!!!!

HEP ME, ALSO!

Jun 22, 05 11:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: