race car driver / engineer
architect
race car driver
pilot
architect
race car driver
pilot
architect
destiny...destiny...no escaping....that's for me....

Jun 21, 05 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
tobyv

age 5: paleontologist (spielberg's jurassic park)
architect since age 6

Jun 21, 05 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i used to line cars up one after another early on..
so parking lot attendant..
but then it was legos all the time...so i think city
planner/architect was there early...then artist/cartoonist
and policeman somewhere young...

but the general point i see being made here is everyone's
seemed to have settled on architecture...i dig the architecture,
but i would still like to be so many other things at the same
time...carpenter/artist/furniture designer/etc. i've just never
felt settled that architecture is the end...

Jun 22, 05 1:35 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

lots of things, architect among them. i am not done yet though, and have plenty of time to persue other venues of self-expression, especially now that i've gotten out of that god awful institution

Jun 22, 05 11:23 am  · 
 · 
jieunybug

in chronological order:

teacher
pianist
artist
composer
mathematician
doctor
chemical engineer (mostly making *bombs*)
music historian
artist
architect

... still searching...

Jun 22, 05 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

Hi

considering all the different things that each of you has wanted to be, i feel as though the only thing you all are is a bunch of dreamers. you all disgust me. you people need to get your act together and pick a side.

Jun 23, 05 11:19 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

I want to be a Bossman!

But I always wanted to be an architect, or a U.S. Navy Aviator (dang my eyes & disdain for authority, why couldn't they just gimme that F14!)

Jun 23, 05 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

French Foreign Legionnaire

Jun 23, 05 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
zahand

Hendrix

Jun 24, 05 1:40 am  · 
 · 
paris

ok mr BOSSMAN the question is what did you want to be when you were a child, it's not what you think you should be now, plus there is nothing wrong with wanting to practice different professions. that's the problem with education these days. people are too focused in their studies which is practical(and unfortunatley inevitable, cause that's the way the world is these days) but doesn't leave much room for studying other areas. I mean look at the past, scientists were poets, artists and architects all at the same time. wouldn't you love an education like that?

Jun 24, 05 2:10 am  · 
 · 
feelandtriple

when i was little i wanted to be..
VET (till I found out that euthanizing was part of the deal)
scientist

then in college i thought i was...

painter
glass artisan
violinist
poet
theologian
renaissance woman

architect didn't occur to me until age 24 and i love it. i guess i just didn't know any architects or have any exposure, but i grew up going to the kimball museum all the time so it kind of seeped in.

Jun 24, 05 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Not what I wanted to do, but I had a friend in HIgh School of Italian heritage who was a cross between Richard Gere ( American Gigolo era) and Tom Cruise ( Risky Business ) cool guy with a bit of flair. He drove a candy apple 67' corvette convertible in high school, because he worked his butt off in the summer pouring concrete with his dad's construction company and was a guys guy,( good athlete ) except he knew how to dance and chat to the ladies.

Summer after grad I saw him in the mall with a shaved head, didn't know what to say but he says I want to be a pilot I am heading to the air force academy, shocked I didn't think he was the army boy type.

So about 20 years go by and one summer afternoon ( in around my 20 yr renunion party ) a F14 fighter plane buzzes my neighbourhood, about 500 ft off the ground, and breaks the sound barrier, gets into huge shit in the media, and from the air force. Turns out its my buddy Joe. Who just wanted to say hi to his buddies and his mom.

Long story but very cool. Decided what he wanted to do in life and clearly kept a sense of humour while pursueing a goal. I still think of him as the real Top Gun, and always had better dance moves than Tom Cruise.

Jun 24, 05 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
form64

european automotive designer

Jun 24, 05 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
stainB

Top Gun

Jun 25, 05 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
johndevlin

one of the van Trapp brats in "Sound of Music"

Jun 25, 05 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
paris

hahahaha that's funny

Jun 26, 05 12:26 am  · 
 · 
trigirl

nightclub singer
currently building my standards repertoire

Jun 26, 05 5:17 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i don't know what i want to be, but sometimes i wanna smack trigirl ;)

Jun 26, 05 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

aside from wanting to smack "le bossman", i wanted to be an oompa-lumpa

Jun 26, 05 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
family man

(wish granted--almost too many times... hehe)

photographer (8 megapixels & a 300mm lens + macro lens)

travel agent (I went to a orientation a few years outta high school and was so excited afterward that I crashed my mom's car into some old lady's caddy by running a stop light... guess that wasn't for me)

pro surfer (sponsored for representing the sport, no competitions)

sci-arc instructor (still working on this one)

I'm packing my bags to go work at a new remote island architecture school where things actually get designed & built, communities are planned, materials are always local, and the natives are restless enought to want to explore new typologies.

Jun 26, 05 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: