Archinect
anchor

Undergraduate in Europe vs GSD in the States

gonebananas

I'm 26 and starting with undergrad school this year having an offer from the ETH in Zurich and the AA... haven't made my mind up yet and also intend to apply to the Angewandte in Vienna(University of applied arts) in september (they have a late admissions' process...)
thing is i've already studied medicine and therefore am in hold of a diploma... that's why i'm wondering if i should pusue getting into an March first professional degree program in the states next year...
well, pros and cons...
5 vs 3 1/2 yrs
Diploma or Bachelor vs MArch
undergrad vs grad fellow students
Europe vs US
starting right now vs starting next year
GRE 4 the states
... someone mentioned of the MArch being xtremely competitive and exhausting due to its compact curriculum

which should my criteria be in choosing the best academic pathway?
personal experience?

With my thread I'm targeting mainly people having GSD experience in the states gaining a first proffesional degree(e.g. M.Arch I in Harvard for 3 and a half years), or those who being in Europe and not having the opportunity to go to grad school had to start all over again with undergrad school in Europe (making for example a carreer change)...

Jun 18, 05 10:54 am
fulcrum

Man, you sound really confident that you will get accepted at GSD.
There are other good schools that, like Yale, are more open for people with different background other than architecture, so you should open up your target a little more.

Jun 18, 05 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

from what i have seen at the eth v. gsd in studios, i would go to eth. it's more respected in europe and the dipl. ing. is an m.arch equiv, so you'd be set here as well. take the basel studio with roger diener and h+dm if you can

Jun 18, 05 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
dasein

hmm. this was my situation exactly. i _really_ wanted to go to the ETH, but ended up picking GSD. getting another dipl. bothered me for two reasons:

one. peers are a very important part of school, and i wanted to work with people _my age_ who had a wide range of previous academic and professional experience.

two. i'm in my mid-twenties and was worried that being in school for another five years would really disrupt my personal life. i am female, and getting married and having children are things i would like to do at some point not too far from now. i was afraid of being 30 and still in school or just beginning my career.

everyone is different though. you just have to decide what is right for you.

Jun 19, 05 10:52 am  · 
 · 
gonebananas

well, first I have to say I misused the term GSD... I thought that Graduate School of Design is sthg that applies to all schools that have an MArch curriculum, not exclusively Harvard...
I would also be considering other schools like SCIArc, Columbia, MIT, Yale or Berkeley...
Another thing with ETH in my case for example (as the feedback I'm getting from Americans regarding ETH is somehow always positive) is that getting into there in undergrad level means being also one of 250 as a freshman (and these are mainly 19 yrs olds... :-S)

dasein, I assume u did an MArch II in GSD instead of a Master in the ETH... what would make u go to ETH? For example u have H+dM in GSD also...

Jun 19, 05 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
dasein

no i am doing m.arch l at GSD. i have an undergraduate degree in something else. i wanted to go to ETH because i wanted to study in the german language and live in zurich. i also felt like going to ETH would make it easier for me to find a job and stay in the EU for good.

Jun 19, 05 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
d-t

Maybe you should go ahead attend ETH Zurich this fall and decide later whether you stay or to pursue your Master instead in the US. ETH is very well receive in the states and this give you a stepping stone in your application especially "GSD" since both schools have mutual program exchange. Your first year in Zurich could be interesting despite being one of the 250 students, but you get to study with Marc M. Angélil in the foundation yr., which i heard good things about it.
Off topic: There's a medical doctor (surgeon) and former prof. at Yale, by the name of Dr. Richard Selzer whom lectured on art and dissecting aesthetics with beautiful details, to the architecture students at Cooper Union. Also author of 25 books! Another place worthy of consideration, with 25 freshman instead of 250. Likewise, I am also considering ETH but for post-graduate studies.

Jun 20, 05 1:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: