Archinect
anchor

3 days and two nights in New Orleans

design geek-girl

I'm going to be leaving tomorrow morning for New Orleans. It's my first time and I'm uber-excited. Any artsy/designy/geeky things I shouldn't miss?

Thanks guys!

Jun 16, 05 6:03 pm
spark

St. Louis Cemetery

Jun 16, 05 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
mac rebennack

So … I’m a native to New Orleans though I don’t live there at the
moment … I don’t think the city has much for designy things … you might want to check out the crumbling Piazza d’Italia by Charles Moore which is downtown for some Pomo history … in general though it’s the vernacular architecture that’s worth taking a look at … the floor to ceiling windows … wide porches … and trees lots and lots of beautiful oak trees !!! (apologies I’m a frustrated desert dweller at the moment) … to that end you might walk around the Garden District or take the street car down St. Charles Ave or explore around City Park | Midcity which has more of an alternative vibe … also all those river plantations are just a short drive from the city and are well worth a day trip … my own advice though would be to forget architecture and just go for the music … look for either Tipitina’s (Uptown) - Snug Harbor (Faubourg Marigny) - the Maple Leaf (off Carrolton) – the Jazz Preservation Hall (off Bourbon) – the Funky Butt (French Quarter) – all great places – enjoy …

Jun 17, 05 11:35 am  · 
 · 
MickMack

and you really have to go to Cafe du Monde and have beignets in Jackson Square! I agree with the NOLA native...just enjoy the sights, sounds and people there!

Jun 17, 05 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Ddot

no mugs -- just a hurricane glass. don't even bother trying not to look like a tourist. they'll pick you out a mile away. a walk through the garden district, street car ride from end to end, some time by the river, jackson square, tipitina's, good food, good drinks, good music. camellia grill. bluebird cafe. igor's. no itinerary necessary - you'll stumble into good stuff no matter where you go. just go have fun.

Nice name, mac rebennack.

Jun 17, 05 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

farmer's market... 5 bucks for a big steaming bowl of gumbo!

Jun 17, 05 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: